Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/11/2003 10:53:02 AM EDT
well my buddy told me that alcohol works great for cleaning. well i just got a bottle and am using it now. cleans great!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:04:20 AM EDT
Just remember almost all alcohol(even everclear, its 95% alcohol 5% benzine, water and other junk) contains some water. So you might have a rusting problem on ferrous parts.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:28:16 AM EDT
ya. i plan on lubing every thing super well once im done cleaning it
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:50:07 PM EDT
K just make sure you let it set to dry for a while before you lube. Don't wanna trap any water underneath oil or grease.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:27:38 PM EDT
check. let all the parts sit out in the sun for a few hours
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:02:31 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Jason4522: well my buddy told me that alcohol works great for cleaning. well i just got a bottle and am using it now. cleans great!
View Quote
I use it to clean case lube off of cases before loading. I have found that there is usually two types available in the drig stores. There is the regular 70/30 alcohol and water and there is also 100% which I think is much better. Hoppy
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:27:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/12/2003 5:29:06 AM EDT by JTinIN]
Alcohol mixs with water, thus making it good way to chase out excess water from threads etc. after one uses a water based cleaner. Even if you get the 100%, the alcohol will pick up a little water vapor from the air while you are using it (side note Everclear is 190 proof or 95% as this is about lowest boiling point for water and grain alcohol ... also better to drink vs cleaning optics etc. due to the residue which it leaves ...;-). While alcohol will burn, is is safer than many other solvents (i.e. brake cleaner with acetone). I like warming parts (at work we bake the lab equipment to drive off the last of the solvent) and if one is in a hurry can also chase the alcohol with another solvent to speed the process (alcohols tend to dry a little slower than many other solvents). Regards John
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:16:37 AM EDT
I use alcohol after every session at the range and you know what? I don't really care about how clean the AR is after I use it. I find it very effective...
Top Top