Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2003 10:53:02 AM EDT
well my buddy told me that alcohol works great for cleaning.  well i just got a bottle and am using it now.  cleans great!
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Just remember  almost all alcohol(even everclear, its 95% alcohol 5% benzine, water and other junk) contains some water.  So you might have a rusting problem on ferrous parts.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#2]
ya.  i plan on lubing every thing super well once im done cleaning it
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 12:50:07 PM EDT
[#3]
K just make sure you let it set to dry for a while before you lube.
Don't wanna trap any water underneath oil or grease.
Link Posted: 6/11/2003 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
check. let all the parts sit out in the sun for a few hours
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:02:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
well my buddy told me that alcohol works great for cleaning.  well i just got a bottle and am using it now.  cleans great!
View Quote

I use it to clean case lube off of cases before loading.  I have found that there is usually two types available in the drig stores.  There is the regular 70/30 alcohol and water and there is also 100% which I think is much better.

Hoppy
Link Posted: 6/12/2003 5:27:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Alcohol mixs with water, thus making it good way to chase out excess water from threads etc. after one uses a water based cleaner.

Even if you get the 100%, the alcohol will pick up a little water vapor from the air while you are using it (side note Everclear is 190 proof or 95% as this is about lowest boiling point for water and grain alcohol  ... also better to drink vs cleaning optics etc. due to the residue which it leaves ...;-).

While alcohol will burn, is is safer than many other solvents (i.e. brake cleaner with acetone).

I like warming parts (at work we bake the lab equipment to drive off the last of the solvent) and if one is in a hurry can also chase the alcohol with another solvent to speed the process (alcohols tend to dry a little slower than many other solvents).

Regards
John
Link Posted: 6/13/2003 4:16:37 AM EDT
[#7]
I use alcohol after every session at the range and you know what?  I don't really care about how clean the AR is after I use it.

I find it very effective...
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top