Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/12/2003 8:51:57 AM EDT
How is the OTIS system for cleaning the AR15? I'm a new AR owner, and want to get the proper cleaning set up. Should I go with just the full length rod and some CLP?
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 8:59:41 AM EDT
Might work for some, but I use a Dewey type full length rods (1 for brushin, 1 for patches), you'll need a bore guide and a chamber cleaning tool, which ya can get from GPSS, (see Industry forum). BTW I use Sweets 7.62 as bore cleaner, a clean carb cleaner spray to rinse and CLP for lube, YMMV. Mike
Link Posted: 5/12/2003 9:05:37 PM EDT
YES...OTIS is great! Never need to worry about tearing up the gun with the rod. Get the M16 type and you'll get a chamber brush. I use ony Otis.
Link Posted: 5/13/2003 4:52:18 AM EDT
Otis is the best, IMHO. You can pull a lot tighter patch than you can push. I've pulled patches that would fold a Dewey rod in half. I was sold when I saw a demo on a cut-away barrel at a Marine Corps show. They really do a great job.
Link Posted: 5/14/2003 7:55:34 AM EDT
I agree. The otis stuff is great. If it's good enough for the military, it's good enough for me. [wave]
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 9:49:21 AM EDT
OTIS, My Man! (Animal House, 1978) I recently purchased the OTIS Elite system. I love it. I have cleaned all of my guns with it and had a few surprises. First, my handguns were clean out of the safe. The old system did a good job. Still I prefer using Otis. Second, my shotguns were FILTHY! They looked cleaned but using the tight Otis patches, I cleaned out a lot of dirt. Third, my rifles were also dirtier than they should have been. Otis again did a better job. One concern, I have several rifles including an AR15 and M1 Garand. Reading the Armory site on the M1, I read never to clean from the chamber to the muzzle as you might damage the crown. I was taught the opposite and with the Otis you clean by following the natural path of the bullet. What do you all think? Philip
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 10:25:13 AM EDT
The Otis cleans from the chamber to the muzzle. No risk of damaging the crown (end of muzzle)
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 11:14:03 AM EDT
You'll wish you used a BoreSnake &/or a Dewey Rod the 1st time you jam a patch in your barrel using an Otis.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 6:52:50 PM EDT
Originally Posted By W-W: You'll wish you used a BoreSnake &/or a Dewey Rod the 1st time you jam a patch in your barrel using an Otis.
View Quote
Why is that? I've jammed some patches royally, but you can always pull them out - even if you have to wrap the cable around the head of a hammer for the added yank.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:31:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Aristotle13: How is the OTIS system for cleaning the AR15? I'm a new AR owner, and want to get the proper cleaning set up. Should I go with just the full length rod and some CLP?
View Quote
I picked up one of their pistol cleaning kits (.22 - .45) at the shop yesterday and did a clean on my 1911 after a short range session. Worked like a champ. I'm definately going to get one of their AR kits.
Link Posted: 5/17/2003 12:37:52 PM EDT
OTIS Elite System here, plus Butt Stock Cleaning Kits in each of my ARs. For 30 Cal. & Larger I use Panoply Patches.
Top Top