Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2002 4:08:53 PM EDT
  Anyone use this technique for breaking in a new barrel?  A guy at the range was telling me to put moly lube on a patch, run it through the barrel a few times and then shoot it leaving the lube in the bore.  He advised that the moly lube would fill in the imperfections in the barrel???
Link Posted: 9/19/2002 2:02:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Never heard of using moly lube to break in any barrel. That kind of defeats the purpose of barrel break-in doesn't it? I mean if you shoot and clean and shoot and clean, etc., you're cleaning the moly lube out of the bore, right? IMO, you don't want moly lube to fill in any imperfections in the bore, you want high speed metal jacketed bullets to remove and polish out any imperfections in the bore.

I don't think it would hurt it, but it seems to me that using moly lube would unnecessarily prolong the barrel break-in period.

I'd save the moly until after the barrel is already broke in. Then you could use moly coated bullets if you're so inclined.

OCTJMO
ICBW
Page AR-15 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top