Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2017 9:50:29 PM EDT
I was test cycling a new build.
I pulled the firing pin to cycle in some ammo to make sure it would strip rounds from the mag.

I tried it a few times like that without ammo and it suddenly locked up.

I realized later it must be the cam bolt turned and wouldn't let me pull the bolt out any further.

I luckly got it out again by smacking it into battery and pulling a few times.
It took me a couple of times for me to realize what the problem was.

So how do you keep it from turning so you can chamber ammo without the firing pin?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 9:54:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Never never never use live rounds.

Have someone that reloads make you some inert rounds.

Never never never use live rounds.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Go.. NO go gauges FTW

WTF were you doing ?
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 10:24:32 PM EDT
[#3]
If you MUST use live ammo, get a spare firing pin and grind off the last eighth inch of the tip.  You were lucky you didn't end up with a worse jam than you got.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:49:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I guess that is why I pulled the firing pin. didn't want any accidents.
didn't think or realize it could jam up like that. But something bugged me about it, which is why I tried it first without ammo and the firing pin.

Guess I will see about some dummy rounds.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Like someone else said, shorten a FP and then notch the hammer end so you can easily identify it visually and by feel.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I will look into that when I start my spare parts order.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 4:46:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I believe you will get more use out of 30 dummy rounds than you will a ruined firing pin. BTW, you found out what could happen if you assemble the BCG without the firing pin being captured by the FP retaining pin, except if you were firing live rounds the gun may have blown up. When messing with the firing pin, be sure its captured.
Anyway, any reloader will be glad to take your fired cases and stick bullets in them - they are always good to have for checking out new mags, new rifles, etc. The only thing you have to worry about when using them indoors is breaking a window when you yank the charging handle to extract - they will fly out pretty hard. And that's what you want to do - yank the handle to extract and let it fly home to load, to simulate what happens when firing. Nothing is learned when doing it 'easy' except it usually will cause a jam.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I was test cycling a new build.
I pulled the firing pin to cycle in some ammo to make sure it would strip rounds from the mag.

I tried it a few times like that without ammo and it suddenly locked up.

I realized later it must be the cam bolt turned and wouldn't let me pull the bolt out any further.

I luckly got it out again by smacking it into battery and pulling a few times.
It took me a couple of times for me to realize what the problem was.

So how do you keep it from turning so you can chamber ammo without the firing pin?
View Quote

Inert, or dummy rounds. Priceless tools for the tool box . . .
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 5:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:07:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I guess that is why I pulled the firing pin. didn't want any accidents.
didn't think or realize it could jam up like that. But something bugged me about it, which is why I tried it first without ammo and the firing pin.

Guess I will see about some dummy rounds.
View Quote
IM me your mailing address.  I’ll send you some Magpul dummy rounds.  You need them
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
I did the same thing once.  Everyone probably does it once.  

If you must do this, buy a firing pin and cut it off.  

If you are a reloader, you can make some dummy rounds on the cheap.  

I test all my new builds at the range.  The only time I did cycle tests at home was with shitty CProducts 7.62x39 mags.  
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:21:31 PM EDT
[#12]
You're supposed to check it with a GO gauge (with the extractor removed, unless it's notched for one). Then reassemble and test feeding using action proving dummies. I recommend Magpul for 5.56 dummies. Those aluminum ones get worn and start chipping aluminum flakes into your action. 
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top