Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2017 9:53:16 AM EDT
Hey guys, I recently put together my first lower from an Anderson lower and a LPK I got from Palmetto along with an upper from them.  The build was pretty easy I thought.  I haven't had a chance to test fire it yet, but I've come across an issue with the magazine catch.  Seems I cannot fully seat a magazine fully without holding the mag release button while inserting the mag, then releasing it and tugging downwards on the mag to seat it.  Inserting a magazine and giving it a good hard tap from the bottom seems to seat it, but then I'm able to wiggle it loose.  This has been only with Pmags so far.  I have one steel USGI type magazine that has had no issues, I can fully insert and seat it no problem.  I've tried tightening and loosening the mag catch slightly with no real effect.  This happens with both loaded and empty Pmags.  I've also noticed a rub line on the Pmags that I'm not sure is supposed to be there, pic below.  I've also noticed that it's much easier to fully secure the mags when the bolt is held open.  I'm not sure if this is part of the AR design or part of my issues.  Any help would be appreciated. 

Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:17:09 AM EDT
[#1]
It looks like there may be a burr on the face of the mag catch.

I would either send that part back and get a different one or remove the one you have and stone the face until whatever is causing that scratch is removed from the face.

I hope smarter people will be along soon and give the OP some real help.

Good luck OP.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:26:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Do you think that could cause my seating and locking issue as well?  I'll remove the catch and take a look when I can.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I would remove the mag catch and post some good pictures of it here.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks, I'll do that when we get home.  Me installing it incorrectly somehow is also a possibility.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#5]
More pics are needed!!
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:13:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:41:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Might check too see if the front and back over insertion areas on the plastic mag are hitting the bottom edges of the magwell before it inserts far enough.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
More pics are needed!!
View Quote
As requested...

Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:05:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Does it insert/pull out the same way with the upper off the lower?

I ask because I've had one upper that seemed to interfere with several magazines.

Mine would seem to lock the magazine in, feed/chamber the first round, maybe two, then the magazine would fall out of the rifle to the ground/table.

I tried several magazines and finally just got a new 10 pack from the box (the aluminum magazines PSA sells) and all those worked fine.  I think it's D&H magazines???  Not sure this early in the morning.

Something about the way that particular upper is made interferes with some magazines being able to insert far enough up into the lower to allow the mag. release to move all the way into the slot in the magazine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 2:25:39 AM EDT
[#10]
not trying to hi-jack, I fired my PSA 10.5in upper today with Anderson lower with PSA parts kit. I had no issues with Pmag( tried three different pmags and two different gens)  inserted empty with bolt open and closed however with a full pmag I cannot insert with bolt closed. I can do both with USGI mags. I tried adjusting the catch and could not find a sweet spot. Im replacing the catch. I'm starting to think PSA parts are not quality.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:28:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
not trying to hi-jack, I fired my PSA 10.5in upper today with Anderson lower with PSA parts kit. I had no issues with Pmag( tried three different pmags and two different gens)  inserted empty with bolt open and closed however with a full pmag I cannot insert with bolt closed. I can do both with USGI mags. I tried adjusting the catch and could not find a sweet spot. Im replacing the catch. I'm starting to think PSA parts are not quality.
View Quote
It's the magazine.  PMags are not the ultimate.  In this case, the PMags you tried are not happy with your Lower Receiver.  PMags are not molded consistently, and some will work in some guns, and not in others, while other will work in most guns.

Blaming the PSA LPK is not going to fix the problem.  You could switch LPKs all day, and the odds are, you will get the same result.  Return the PMags and try others, or try your PMags and mark the ones that work with that particular gun, and don't use the ones that don't work in that gun, in that gun.

Don't feel bad.  I've noticed that the current 30-round Brownell aluminum mags that are being supplied to the U.S. Government have a fit problem in some Lower Receivers.  Some fit in some Lower Receivers, too tight, and will not drop free.  And others work fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:33:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Hey guys, I recently put together my first lower from an Anderson lower and a LPK I got from Palmetto along with an upper from them.  The build was pretty easy I thought.  I haven't had a chance to test fire it yet, but I've come across an issue with the magazine catch.  Seems I cannot fully seat a magazine fully without holding the mag release button while inserting the mag, then releasing it and tugging downwards on the mag to seat it.  Inserting a magazine and giving it a good hard tap from the bottom seems to seat it, but then I'm able to wiggle it loose.  This has been only with Pmags so far.  I have one steel USGI type magazine that has had no issues, I can fully insert and seat it no problem.  I've tried tightening and loosening the mag catch slightly with no real effect.  This happens with both loaded and empty Pmags.  I've also noticed a rub line on the Pmags that I'm not sure is supposed to be there, pic below.  I've also noticed that it's much easier to fully secure the mags when the bolt is held open.  I'm not sure if this is part of the AR design or part of my issues.  Any help would be appreciated.  https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169396/21617716_10212237943177605_4036218858761567204_n-314402.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169396/Resized_20170924_094142-315717.jpg
View Quote

If you are in NY, isn't the gun pictured in the photos, in an illegal configuration for NY State?

I strongly suggest that you remove your photos (or this thread).
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#13]
I doubt that it magazine related, I have 3 other AR15 rifles zero problems( Stag, bushmaster and fraken ar PSA upper with Rock river lower) but hey you could be right. I have my mind set on buying a new mag catch from a quality company if the problem is solved. I will post here, then a discussion about quality parts can be had. Im suspicious at this point.  

[b]Quoted:[/b  

It's the magazine.  PMags are not the ultimate.  In this case, the PMags you tried are not happy with your Lower Receiver.  PMags are not molded consistently, and some will work in some guns, and not in others, while other will work in most guns.

Blaming the PSA LPK is not going to fix the problem.  You could switch LPKs all day, and the odds are, you will get the same result.  Return the PMags and try others, or try your PMags and mark the ones that work with that particular gun, and don't use the ones that don't work in that gun, in that gun.

Don't feel bad.  I've noticed that the current 30-round Brownell aluminum mags that are being supplied to the U.S. Government have a fit problem in some Lower Receivers.  Some fit in some Lower Receivers, too tight, and will not drop free.  And others work fine.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 1:54:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

If you are in NY, isn't the gun pictured in the photos, in an illegal configuration for NY State?

I strongly suggest that you remove your photos (or this thread).
View Quote
LEO exemption.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top