Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/16/2006 1:19:07 PM EDT
I recently purchased my third Bushmaster and this has an A3 upper with a YHM flip up rear sight.  The rear has to bet to the left just a few turns shy of extreme left.  I have checked the rear sight and it is mounted solid and level.  Could the front sight be out of alignment from the factory or am I doing somthing wrong.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:20:18 PM EDT
[#1]
never mind guys, just took to the range and shot from a secure bench rest.  found that the barrel is canted to the left.  called bushmaster and talked to tech support.  they stated that this happens occasionally.  they want the rifle shipped back to them to have the barrel checked and re-torqued.  this stinks...

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
They stated that this happens occasionally.

It seems to happen quite frequently here lately with Bushmaster rifles. The problem is that the barrel is overtorqued, which causes it to cant in the upper receiver to the left.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 3:05:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
they stated that this happens occasionally.  they want the rifle shipped back to them to have the barrel checked and re-torqued.  this stinks...

Occasionally!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 11:30:28 AM EDT
[#5]
GOT IT BACK. IT NOW KICKS A$$.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Dano: If one were to boresight their rifle at 50 yd (w/o firing a shot), would it be possible to see that the barrel pin was bent causing the canted sight? Or does one HAVE to fire the rifle in order to determine it?

I've boresighted my barrel at 50 yd (looked through the bore, found "target", and adjusted iron sights to match POA) and the windage was always "OK".
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:34:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes that was the intent for boresighting the rifle. I wanted to make sure my new Bushmaster barrel wasn't canted due to overtorquing the barrel nut. This was on a new carbine build (and a slightly used rifle build that I took apart/re-assembled for a new FFHG).
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top