Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2005 9:22:35 AM EDT
I've been having some trouble with my new Busmaster M4gery.  Once in a while, the rifle fails to properly eject an empty casing and a new round is loaded, so that that they're both stuck in the chamber/barrel.  Has this happened to anyone else?  Any idea what could be causing this?  Is it worth sending back to Bushmaster to have them look at it?  This has happened twice in the first couple hundred rounds, so it makes me nervous to bet my life on it.  Thanks for any and all help.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Shortstroking? maybe gas key is loose.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:36:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Tweak has great threads TACKED above, have you reviewed them?

Mike

E.T.A. - from your post it appears you don't have a "feeding" problem, as noted chek the short-stroking thread tacked above....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 12:16:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I had the same problem with my new Bushy.  Try a new extractor spring.....helped me.  I also cleaned up the extractor with some dremel stones and sandpaper.  It seemed as if my extractor was letting go of the case rim early.

That and a thorough cleaning.  I found that us newbie Ar guys "may" get a little excited with the new toy and not clean the grease out of the thing properly first b4 shooting.  That...and a clean/smooth chamber is a good thing.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for your responses.  I'm using Federal 5.56.  Good point on being a failure to extract/eject rather than being a failure to feed.  I've read the posts above, but just wanted to get some second opinions.  Thanks again.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:54:30 AM EDT
[#6]
while a new heavy duty extractor spring setup MAY cure the problem, let's make sure we know what the problem is FIRST.

Sounds like it's not extracting the fired case properly and then tries to feed another one.

Go through the function checks specified in the tacked threads.

more specifically perform the short stroke test to make sure you're getting adequate gas delivery to the action.

could be a burr or rough chamber impeding extraction.

is the chamber totally clean??
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Clean it and shoot it some more.  It may just need some breaking in.  I would't even think of sending a new rifle back or prankering with anything until it's been broken in unless your having a very consistant problem.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I had the same problem with my new Bushy.  Try a new extractor spring.....helped me.  I also cleaned up the extractor with some dremel stones and sandpaper.  It seemed as if my extractor was letting go of the case rim early.

I did the same thing, waaaay too many FTEj, with M855 (Bushmaster M4A3 clone), ran great with XM193,  swapped out the extractor spring, as the FTEj's seemed to be from the spent casing being dropped off the bolt face before the ejector could kick them out of the rifle..................... Not one jam since the fresh extractor spring, damn thing will even run Radway Green again without jamming up. Is sort of a cool feeling to diagnose and fix something, and actually have it work afterwards!

Luck with your Bushy!

John
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again for the responses.  I believe the chamber is completely clean, but I'm still new to this, so I'll have someone else take a look.  After some more cleaning I'll try the short-stroke test, and if it happens again, I'll replace the extractor spring (and may do so anyway).  I really appreciate the help.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:59:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like your experiencing "Dropped Extraction"... Replace the extractor spring and buffer with a heavy duty job or use a #60 O-ring with the original spring and buffer to see if that helps...
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 11:36:21 PM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if Bushmaster had a batch of borderline extractor springs. I replaced the extractor spring in a brand new bolt cause once in a while, the rifle would fail to properly eject an empty casing and prevent a new round from loading properly.
Also, Make sure the groove in the extractor that grips the casing free of carbon buildup.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#13]
For what its worth, I had two of these failure-to-eject, feed things the first time I went to the range to fire my new Bushmaster.  However, I've never had any sort of failure like this subsequently.  It's probably just a break-in thing.  Just as the take-down pin is hard to push the first few times, the other moving parts are probably a bit sticky too until they've been used a bit.  Theres a procedure for cleaning and lubricating the extractor and ejector in the Bushmaster manual, that I'd recommend looking into.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 6:10:59 AM EDT
[#14]
When a normally reliable rifle starts "dropping extractions", the FIRST thing I check is for debris under the extractor.  A small brass sliver between the bolt head and extractor has been the culprit a couple of times in the past.  HTH.

Paladin

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I wonder if Bushmaster had a batch of borderline extractor springs. I replaced the extractor spring in a brand new bolt cause once in a while, the rifle would fail to properly eject an empty casing and prevent a new round from loading properly.
Also, Make sure the groove in the extractor that grips the casing free of carbon buildup.

I believe it. Bought a "D"fender  O ring, new extractor spring w/plastic insert. Plus Coiled gas ring(one piece). Yesterday I shot 200 rounds of XM-193 and WWB Q3131A. Not ONE problem!,after that.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top