Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2003 8:55:05 PM EDT
I have an older model Olympic Arms with a commando barrel.  My sight was not very far off and I was able to zero but the rear sight was to the extreme left hand side of the handle.  Being the anal AR-15 owner that I am I just had to have this corrected. So I came home from the range and researched the topic and found several postings on exactly my problem.  The majority of the arguments were for loosening the barrel and the "whammy" method.  I do do not have the tools and equipment to loosen the barrel and it did not seem to be that far off.  So I decided to try the whammy method.  I used a sandbag and a rubber mallet and smacked it twice and got it pretty well centered by eye.  The problem is that now i can turn the barrel by hand about a sixteenth of an inch.

What do I do now?  Is it just a matter of tightening my barrel?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:59:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Rep1969
Sounds like the barrel nut came loose.  If you are in the Chicago area I could tighten it up for you.

[email protected]

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 1:41:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, but I am about 2hrs south of ya.
30 miles south of Champaign.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
OOOoooooo... as I gaze into my crystal ball, I see an action block and a barrel wrench in your future. [:)]

I had the same problem (barrel nut came loose) when re-indexing my flash hider.  Being the kind of person I am, I bought the tools and retightened it myself.  I'm glad I did because now I know it was done right and is absolutoley not coming off again without tools.  I also now know what all those parts under the delta ring look like, how everything fits together, etc.  It's just nice stuff to know.  Anyway, if you want to spend the money on tools and do it yourself, it's not hard.  Grab the TM, find the procedure, follow it, and bingo.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top