Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2003 3:49:12 PM EDT
The bolt got stuck a few weeks ago and I have not been back to the range to test it. How do I know if it is going to work right and lock. Is there a test or something to look at? It took a while to get the bolt out
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 9:52:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Please explain more on this "stuck" situation.  Why did it stick ? What was done to un-stick it ?  How much force was applied to free it ?
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:47:48 AM EDT
[#2]
I took bolt out to clean and take out firering pin. Put back in with out pin and it got partly stuck in the buffer part in the stock some how
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 2:07:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you saying that the bolt got wedged in some part of the rifle while cleaning and after you got it un-wedged you were worried that it might have caused some damage?  If that is correct, then don't sweat it unless you used a pry bar or 4 lb. hammer.  

Or maybe you are talking about the bolt "carrier" getting stuck in the buffer tube because the cotter pin for the firing pin wasn't replaced after cleaning, causing the firing pin to fall out, wedgeing the carrier in the buffer tube somehow.

Either way, you are going to have to clarify, I have just used up my daily allotment of mental energy trying to decypher your post and have lost the will to go on.

Wait...Aha! I think I have got it.  After cleaning your rifle, you put the bolt and carrier back together with the cam pin, but forgot to put the firing pin back in before closing the halves and cycling the action.  As a result, the cam pin fell out partially and caused the carrier to become stuck in the buffer tube.  I take it you have got the carrier back out of the tube now and have the rifle properly assembled and are wondering if there is anything to worry about or how to do a function test.

First off, you shouldn't have anything to worry about from a safety perspective.  I seriously doubt you broke or damaged anything.  You may want to do a standard function check though, just to put the mind at ease.

There should be a copy of a user manual somewhere on this site that gives the details for a function check, I would elaborate but I am afraid I have lost the will to look any farther.  Anyway, judging by your post count you may be new to the site.  If so, welcome and enjoy.
Link Posted: 9/6/2003 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I agree with Jason.  But, I would still like to hear more about how much force was applied to free it.

For example, If xcoolice used a screwdriver to gently pry it lose, then I see no problem.  But, if he used a chisel and a hammer to pound it lose, then we might need to suggest prudent caution to xcoolice.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#5]
used a screwdriver to gently pry it lose.. yep.. function check works fine. Just wont to know how do I know if the bolt is locking in place. is there a test
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 8:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
By the way the AR is designed, the bolt has NO CHOICE but to lock in place IF THE CARRIER moves forward all the way.  Now, the obvious question is - how do I know if the carrier is all the way forward ?

Remove the magazine. Unload the gun.  Pull back (all the way back) on charging handle to verify chamber is empty.  Push out the rear takedown pin, but leave the front takedown pin closed.  Pivot the upper open like it was a shotgun.  Pull back on the carrier with your fingers, pulling the carrier rearward about one inch.   Using your fingers, push the carrier back in.  Does the rear of the carrier sit flush with the rear of the upper reciever ?  I am sure it is flush, or you would not had been able to pivot open the upper from the lower.

Now, with that test confirmed and passed - let's learn more about the AR.  Go ahead and completely remove the upper from the lower.  Turn the upper so that you can see inside the upper as you slide the carrier rearward about one inch.  Proceed to move the carrier out about one inch, and then push the carier back into the upper. Do this repeately, and closely watch the bolt lugs and study how the bolt lugs ROTATE during the final few fractions of an inch as the carrier is driven forward.  This is why the bolt MUST LOCK before the carrier can sit completly forward in the upper.

Bottom line - You have a green light from me to enjoy shooting your AR.  I feel comfortable that you DID NOT DAMAGE anything.
Link Posted: 9/9/2003 9:44:22 PM EDT
[#7]
"Does the rear of the carrier sit flush with the rear of the upper reciever ? I am sure it is flush, or you would not had been able to pivot open the upper from the lower."

that is what happened, when it got stuck..
thanks
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top