Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2003 11:04:41 AM EDT
I have a preban Oly that I have been haveing failure to feed problems. I totally rebuilt the bolt and used wolf springs and the xring and one gas ring design from Oly. I tried it out and it still had the same problems after about thirty rounds and after it got hot"barrel smoking" it "the bolt" locked in the chamber and now won't rotate out. I have another complete bolt assy. that has less than 5oo rounds through it could I just try it with out worring about headspace or not? Thanks Autogunner.
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I am guessing that it is short stroaking when it fails to feed..

First I would try with standard rings, (cheap trial and error)it sounds like the barrel/bolt is on the underheadspaced side.

You should use gauges when switching bolts, I would probably chance it if the rings swap did not work.

Robert
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 5:20:19 PM EDT
[#2]
autogunner,

Who did the assembly of your OAI? Has the HS been checked already? Have you examined the inside of the chamber with a reflector? Is the barrel stainless or chrome-moly?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
This is the original barrel commando style with long flash hider I changed the upper to a flat top but it has had this problem sence I bought it last year. If I buy a new bolt why does it need to be head spaced, how can you adjust it out if it is wrong with a new bolt?
Thanks Autogunner P.S. the barrel is crhome I beleive and I have not checked the chamber with a reflecter.Also I rebuilt it and used the xring from oly and it doesnot spring at all it won't even hardly move is this normal or not and do you use the insert that goes inside the spring with it because I did not,their were no instructions sent with it?
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 9:12:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is the original barrel commando style with long flash hider I changed the upper to a flat top but it has had this problem sence I bought it last year.
View Quote

Does that mean that originally it was a factory assembled rifle? Look at the rear of the takedown pin lug? Do you see something stamped there? Look inside the lower where the take down pin lug seats ("above" the pistol grip) do you see anything stamped there?

If I buy a new bolt why does it need to be head spaced,
View Quote

Because changing the bolt may change the HS, or the barrel may have never been HSed. You don't HS the bolt, you HS the barrel.

how can you adjust it out if it is wrong with a new bolt?
View Quote

Depends on if the barrel is chromed and how far out the HS is.

the barrel is crhome I beleive
View Quote

Not likely if it came from OAI. What leads you to believe it's chromed? Look forward of the FSB, at 12 o-clock on the barrel. What does the stamping there say?

it doesnot spring at all
View Quote

What doesn't "spring"? The extractor? If the extractor is too stiff you can have malfs. The extractor has to be able to move aside during chambering.

do you use the insert that goes inside the spring with it because I did not,their were no instructions sent with it?
View Quote

According to [url=http://www.olyarms.com/exring.html]this[/url] you do not use the extractor spring insert when using the EXring.
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top