Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2003 7:15:02 PM EDT
I finally got a good chance to go shooting, and several times, after I shot the second to last round in a mag, the bolt would lock back, and the last round would just be loose above the magazine. It seems to not always happen, and with any of my mags. In about 250 rounds, it happened about 5 times. Any advice would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 10:32:53 PM EDT
[#1]
If your using USGI mags, then it may be that the mags need to be cleaned. Fouling may be binding the follower on the last round.    If that does not help, then it's time for a new spring in the problem mag, and possible a mag tweak.

If your using clone mags, then all bets are off.  The feed lips metal are thin and tends to flair open causing a multitude of feed problems.
Link Posted: 7/17/2003 11:20:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Furner,

Number your mags, go shooting again, keep track of which mags give you the trouble.

If there is no pattern then your rifle may be overfunctioning. I saw this once with a carbine using a cut down rifle buffer and rifle spring.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 4:47:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Put one round in the mag and bend the lip to conform to it's shape.  Put a 2nd round in and bend the other lip.

Shouldn't take much.
Link Posted: 7/18/2003 7:22:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Also replace the magazine follower for the green type, the tend to avoid this type of 'jams'
Link Posted: 7/20/2003 3:49:52 AM EDT
[#5]
I developed the same problem on 20Rd Colt mags.They used to be fine. The only change is new 20rd springs....
Page AR-15 » Troubleshooting
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top