User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#1]
someone with a waterjet or plama table could knock out the patterns pretty quick
but flatspot may have IP
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 1:09:18 PM EDT
[#2]
What do you figure the cost in brass?  3-4x the price of steel?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#3]
.125 brass sheet is ~10x the cost of steel

12x12, 11 gauge steel- 10 dollars

12x12, 11 gauge brass- 112 dollars
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll lay one out when I get home, see how small I can get it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2018 10:28:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
.125 brass sheet is ~10x the cost of steel

12x12, 11 gauge steel- 10 dollars

12x12, 11 gauge brass- 112 dollars
View Quote
... or you can work with salvaged brass
Link Posted: 8/11/2018 7:26:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Update.  Got the propane torch out today, had picked up a soldering kit from WalMart last week.

Sanded, blew off the parts clean, fluxed the two surfaces, clamped em together w/ vice grips, and wiped the excess flux off.

Heated w/ the pipe torch, applied solder, heated some more, applied more solder, heated some more.

Let it cool, popped the vice grips off, pieces fell apart.

Fluffy tells me I'm supposed to clamp, then flux.  Will try again.

Right now I'm just trying to get the pistol grip boss pieces together.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 11:36:15 AM EDT
[#7]
What about this ??  Lock Tite green.  I know solder is permanent but it appears this is as well.
kwg

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37424-Strength-Retainer-6-milliliter/dp/B0002KKTIG
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 2:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
You might be leaving particles of sandpaper between layers. Use a stainless bristle welding brush. Dip the parts in acetone.

Are you getting the parts hot enough? Pics of the separated pieces. The solder should wick in if the temperature is right.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 2:10:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:  What about this ??  Lock Tite green.  I know solder is permanent but it appears this is as well.
kwg

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-37424-Strength-Retainer-6-milliliter/dp/B0002KKTIG
View Quote
I tried superglue before, has a higher PSI rating than that, the magwell and side plates fell off.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 2:16:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:  You might be leaving particles of sandpaper between layers. Use a stainless bristle welding brush. Dip the parts in acetone.

Are you getting the parts hot enough? Pics of the separated pieces. The solder should wick in if the temperature is right.
View Quote
Figured I'd try it w/ the parts in the soldering kit, which is where the sandpaper came from.  Blew across it afterwards before I put the flux on.  Parts are hot enough to melt the solder easily, using the pipe heating (semi-circle) torch from the kit.

It's a pain to post pics here now that I got Google out of my life.  I'll see about getting some up when I get a chance.  Didn't look as if there was any solder on the inside between the pieces.  Could they be too smooth and I clamped them too hard, so there was no space in between?  Do I need to rough them up w/ a file?

When do I apply flux?  Before or after I clamp?  Fluffy says afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:00:39 PM EDT
[#11]
The underlined part I quoted could be part of the answer.

You want the flux gooped on there. In brazing & soldering you cant have too much. It cleans the surfaces and helps the solder bond. Apply flux before clamping

Try on a small piece. Keep the flame on the pieces. Dont apply solder until the flux begins to liquefy and smoke off.

@1:14
https://youtu.be/jtvOkI_pvMI

Quoted:
Update.

snip

Sanded, blew off the parts clean, fluxed the two surfaces, clamped em together w/ vice grips, and wiped the excess flux off.

snip
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/12/2018 10:08:54 PM EDT
[#12]
Ahhhh.  Ok, part will covered in flux next time.  May have a chance tomorrow before margaritas.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 10:46:13 AM EDT
[#13]
multiple step solder fabrication requires multi hardness solders
or the cherry heat from step 4 will cause step 1 to slide and fall off
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 11:09:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:  multiple step solder fabrication requires multi hardness solders
or the cherry heat from step 4 will cause step 1 to slide and fall off
View Quote
That could be a problem.  Maybe I can flux the whole thing, clamp it, lay solder on every joint, and then pop it in the oven?
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 1:46:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That could be a problem.  Maybe I can flux the whole thing, clamp it, lay solder on every joint, and then pop it in the oven?
View Quote
That's basically furnace brazing (well, soldering.)

Look into solder/brazing paste, which is a mix of flux and solder.  Butter everything up, position it, and then apply the heat.
Link Posted: 8/13/2018 2:08:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So if I screw it up, I really could stick it in the oven @ 550, bake for 87 minutes, and have a fresh start.

If I could build a jig that would hold all the parts in place w/o risk of being soldered into the lower, we really could have shake & bake lowers, no?

Very handy for car trips from Pennsylvania to Maine, for instance.  Melt the solder off your lower, drive through New York w/ your jigsaw pieces until you get back to a free state, recoat it w/ solder, pop it in the jig, bake on high for 87 minutes?
View Quote
Instead of a jig, it might be possible to setup pins that get soldered in.  Or at least mostly pins.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top