Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2017 9:57:40 PM EDT
What problems if any would a fcg pocket machined to deep cause? Do triggers touch the bottom of the fcg pocket?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:09:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
What problems if any would a fcg pocket machined to deep cause? Do triggers touch the bottom of the fcg pocket?
View Quote
The majority of the time, none, I have seen FCG pockets that have broke through the bottom in areas and the gun still runs fine.  Why, how deep did you mill it?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:22:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Last pass something moved. I came out .026 to deep or .016 over max depth. I think they allow for .010 plus or minus.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last pass something moved. I came out .026 to deep or .016 over max depth. I think they allow for .010 plus or minus.
View Quote
You are fine, just don't go any deeper, but .010 over is not going to affect the way it operates at all.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

You are fine, just don't go any deeper, but .010 over is not going to affect the way it operates at all.
View Quote
I’m .026 over. What if anything touches the bottom?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I’m .026 over. What if anything touches the bottom?
View Quote
You are still fine, the gun will run with no problems, I think we have all screwed up on them at one time or another and all of mine run just fine, I own over 30 of them and 25 of them I have milled on my mini mill, so I am sure my tolerances are off in some areas. So currently you are at 1.275, you might have a little bit longer trigger pull, but it will not really affect anything.  One thing that might be in play is the tension on the trigger spring with it being a bit deeper, but I suspect it will no present any problems.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You are still fine, the gun will run with no problems, I think we have all screwed up on them at one time or another and all of mine run just fine, I own over 30 of them and 25 of them I have milled on my mini mill, so I am sure my tolerances are off in some areas. So currently you are at 1.275, you might have a little bit longer trigger pull, but it will not really affect anything.  One thing that might be in play is the tension on the trigger spring with it being a bit deeper, but I suspect it will no present any problems.
View Quote
Got it. Thanks I won’t get it finished to try for awhile. It would eat me up inside not knowing but your post told me everything I want.
I thought The trigger pull stops on the safety?
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:18:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Got it. Thanks I won’t get it finished to try for awhile. It would eat me up inside not knowing but your post told me everything I want.
I thought The trigger pull stops on the safety?
View Quote
It does, just be careful when you drill your holes and make damn sure they are in the right spot, do not try to compensate with the holes and the only reason I mention that is I had a friend that thought because he machined a bit to deep that he should adjust the trigger, hammer and safely hole, I ended up giving him a new lower to mill and I kept his to hold notes down on my desk.

these guns are not really something to obsess over, there is really a lot of flexibility in the build on this particular platform of gun.

Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:24:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It does, just be careful when you drill your holes and make damn sure they are in the right spot, do not try to compensate with the holes and the only reason I mention that is I had a friend that thought because he machined a bit to deep that he should adjust the trigger, hammer and safely hole, I ended up giving him a new lower to mill and I kept his to hold notes down on my desk.

these guns are not really something to obsess over, there is really a lot of flexibility in the build on this particular platform of gun.

View Quote
Thanks for your time. Still learning as I go. The holes came out great and are correct
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 11:29:46 PM EDT
[#9]
There's some leeway in that dimension. I just put an Elftmann drop-in trigger in one of my home-machined lowers. The Elf triggers actually come with a steel shim to drop into the lower before you drop the trigger in - the tensioning screws hit the steel instead of chewing up the aluminum lower. So - obviously some room to work with.

If you were really concerned, you could make a shim out of thin shim stock to take up the extra space.
Link Posted: 12/11/2017 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#10]
<deleted>
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top