User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2017 2:48:36 AM EDT
Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:17:21 AM EDT
[#1]
ALG Defense is my choice. Great lightweight rails with plenty of features. be sure to order the barrel nut wrench if you go with them. ALG is the sister company of Geissele.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 3:37:56 AM EDT
[#2]
There are way too many of these topics. There are atleast two other different topics asking for cheap rails.

ALG are the only ones I would buy.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are way too many of these topics. There are atleast two other different topics asking for cheap rails.

ALG are the only ones I would buy.
View Quote
Strange- in my search of all six pages I found no other topics that resembled this one! The closest one was about barrel nut timing. Wtf?
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:07:51 AM EDT
[#4]
There's a post over in AR Basics that's pretty much identical.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 7:20:35 AM EDT
[#5]
ALG is the answer you seek.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:25:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There's a post over in AR Basics that's pretty much identical.
View Quote
Probably why I didn't see it- here I thought I was in the build it yourself forum- silly me
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Edit; Code gone wild here, trying to post a link and a pic. I give up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:43:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yeah it's funky sometimes- off topic ,but I see you joined same month and year I did. Thanks Obama
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 8:44:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:02:02 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
Really? thanks
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:34:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah it's funky sometimes- off topic ,but I see you joined same month and year I did. Thanks Obama
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll try again. A friend just bought this, only looked at it out of the package, haven't seen it on his gun yet. Looks alright and it is cheap for being made in the USA.
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=7079&name=GUNTEC+Ultra+Lightweight+Thin+M-LOK+Handguards

March 2008, that's when I bought a few more AR's and came here after not being here for a few years but couldn't remember my log in. I think I originally joined the old forum back around 2000.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 9:59:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I'll try again. A friend just bought this, only looked at it out of the package, haven't seen it on his gun yet. Looks alright and it is cheap for being made in the USA.
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?groupid=7079&name=GUNTEC+Ultra+Lightweight+Thin+M-LOK+Handguards

March 2008, that's when I bought a few more AR's and came here after not being here for a few years but couldn't remember my log in. I think I originally joined the old forum back around 2000.
View Quote
nice, thanks! looks good! don't know about the aluminum barrel nut though. you think that would cause any issues? i may have to call Bryan over there and ask him or hit up the aim forum and see what they might be saying over there
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#13]
JoeBob's Outfitters has usually had some good deals on Matrix handguards. I have three and like them for what I use them on.
Link Posted: 12/8/2017 2:17:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Here are some very cheap American made rails.
I've used these, they are very simple to install, do not require barrel nut timing. Very nice.
Link Posted: 12/9/2017 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#15]
ALG is the only "cheap" handguard I would use. They're very well made and come from a good company.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 2:25:38 AM EDT
[#16]
ALG makes outstanding rails, and the slot placement is a good design.
Link Posted: 12/10/2017 10:22:28 AM EDT
[#17]
ALG hands down
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:16:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Is a hundred bucks considered cheap?  I ordered a 15" "made in Texas" handguard last week and it arrives today from STNGR:

https://www.stngrusa.com/collections/m-lok

"VYPR M-Lok Free Float Handguard 15" - AR15/M4
1$109.99 Scroll for more items
Cost summary
DescriptionPrice
Subtotal$109.99
ShippingFree
TotalUSD $109.99"

I couldn't figure out how they keep the handguard from rotating on their barrel nut so I emailed them. If you look at the end of all of their handguards there are two small anti-rotational tabs that stick out which use the upper to prevent possible rotation. The drawback to this is that those tabs might contact the upper and leave a mark, so this may or may not be a big deal to some. Anyway, I swear I must have looked at 50 different 15"-ers and I really didn't want to spend over a $100, but what the hell at least it appears to be well made.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've used these, they are very simple to install, do not require barrel nut timing. Very nice.
View Quote
Wow, now how did I miss these.....my Google-fu must be weak.......
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#20]
If you are down with old schooly picatinny rails, you really can't go wrong with the Daniel Defense Omega. They can be had cheap on the used market since not a lot of folks are going pic rail these days.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 12:52:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Any suggestions?
View Quote

What is your definition of cheap? For free float rails around $100 is the entry level price point for a quality rail from a reputable manufacture

ALG
STNGR
Mid west industries
All make free float rails for around $100. Im not that familiar with STNGR, but most of the customer feedback is positive.

Some cheaper options are
GunTech
UTG
and Trinity Force are of hit or miss quality

Keep in mind that a free float rail isn't a cheap part, nor is it the easiest part to install... unless you have access to the tools needed, Its probably easier to have a gunsmith do it.

Either way, whether its cost of the tools needed or a gunsmiths fee to install it, you are going to have to spend about another $50 just to be able to use it....with that in mind you are better off paying the extra for a quality rail from a reputable manufacture that will last a long time.... then going with a cheap one that is less durable and risk having to replace it sooner and/or spend more on the install then the rail is worth
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 9:50:04 AM EDT
[#22]
If you don’t mind buying a “blem”, Midwest industries usually has some good deals. I picked one up from their website about a month ago for a little over $100. Was a 10.5 m lok in fde.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 7:00:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote
Wow, now how did I miss these.....my Google-fu must be weak.......
View Quote
It appears those are unbranded blemish versions of the Matrix Arms hand guards that JoeBobOutfitters always has on sale. Which means they are probably a good deal.

I have used the Guntec and the Matrix. The Matrix is easier to install.
Neither have any anti-rotational system, other than proper torque application.
If that is an issue for you purposes, the ALG would be superior to either.
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#24]
M lok,  dick mod or cheese grater? I'll send you a cheese grater for cost of shipping to get it out of my hair
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
M lok,  dick mod or cheese grater? I'll send you a cheese grater for cost of shipping to get it out of my hair
View Quote
What's wrong with cheese grater?
Link Posted: 12/27/2017 11:24:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/28/2017 1:35:27 AM EDT
[#27]
The Matrix handguards from JoeBob are a good, affordable option.
Link Posted: 12/30/2017 9:53:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
good cheap
View Quote
oxymoron ;-)
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top