Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2017 6:45:09 PM EDT
I have been stockpiling AR parts more than usual lately, as well as preparing for another build, and I noticed that the Colt charging handles sold by Brownells are insanely expensive ($63.99), compared to the standard charging handles from most other manufacturers, which run from $15 to $35.

Although many people like the various non-standard charging handles, I have no interest in them.  I tried the BCM Gunfighter with both the small and medium latch, and I can honestly say that it is the only AR part I have ever truly HATED.  The latch stuck out so much, even on the small-latch model (I know this is what they are supposed to do, but it caused so many problems for me), that it got in the way all the time.  I carry my rifles (and HD shotguns) on Viking Tactics 2-point slings slung across my chest, and  that darn Gunfighter charging handle was constantly not only poking me in the chest, but would unlock and do spontaneous chamber checks all the time, even when I was just wearing a T-shirt.  When wearing a mag carrier chest rig out in the field, it actually would spontaneously cycle the action.  Therefore, I have always used and been totally satisfied with standard-model handles (heck, I'd take triangle-type if they were well-made today at an attractive price).

Am I correct in assuming that the premium features of a top-end standard charging handle are the 7075 T6 material and forged construction, or am I missing something?  If that is all the difference between a Colt and, say, a CMMG, wouldn't the forged 7075 T6 handles from places like Spike's, PSA, and Stag be just as good as the Colt, or am I missing something?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:13:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 8:37:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Sounds like you should try one of the latch-less charging handles.
Link Posted: 11/28/2017 9:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have built 3 rifles using Anderson Standard CH's and will say they are of good quality for standard round the house shooting.  That being said I'll agree with Tig that with Colt you have a time proven standard of quality and high usage performance.  I btw only use BCM and Raptor
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 12:11:56 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I've noticed a difference among "mil spec" charging handles. The smoothest I have came from a lot that I bought off the EE, and I can't find the manufacturer online. It kills me, it only has a cage code on the bottom, but google has let me down. I have other ones, CMMG is a big notable one for me that is really gritty in my uppers. I noticed that if I douse them in oil they all feel really smooth.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 7:42:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 4:20:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I have never had a charging handle break on me and all of mine are plain cheap handles with upgraded latches.
Link Posted: 11/29/2017 11:13:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have never had a charging handle break on me and all of mine are plain cheap handles with upgraded latches.
View Quote
+1
I look for 7075 aluminum though.  Have one 6061 extruded handle in the group and it is notably softer and has worn quicker than any of my 7075 handles.  None have broken, but I expect the 6061 to be the first to go.
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 1:42:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What is the stamping?
View Quote
It says on the bottom "2U136"
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 3:47:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the stamping?
Made by "Precision Grinding & Manufacturing".

http://www.armyproperty.com/manufacturer/2U136
Link Posted: 11/30/2017 10:35:56 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/7/2017 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Charging handles are no more “all created equal” than any other AR part.
However posts about problems seem rare.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top