Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2017 12:55:17 AM EDT
I have a perfect functioning AR-10 in 308 built on Aero Presicsion upper & lower's. I am specing out a 6.5 Creedmoor upper and it dawned on me, if the BCG from the 308 headspaces correctly with the 6.5 barrel is there any reason I can't use it in lieu of buying another BCG or bolt...?

S/F

Tim
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 1:21:26 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a perfect functioning AR-10 in 308 built on Aero Presicsion upper & lower's. I am specing out a 6.5 Creedmoor upper and it dawned on me, if the BCG from the 308 headspaces correctly with the 6.5 barrel is there any reason I can't use it in lieu of buying another BCG or bolt...?

S/F

Tim
View Quote

The only fear is, since the barrel extension is fixed to a particular headspace using a NEW bolt, a worn bolt may headspace differently and cause excessive headspace. At least buy a new bolt head with the upper and use that bolt head for that upper.

Now you can reuse bolts all you want if you have the ability to install your own barrel extension and set headspace to that bolt.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You could, but shouldn't.

Precisely machined parts wear together and become a mated pair with corresponding wear patterns.

Mixing and matching is possible but not recommended.

Best to have a dedicated bolt for each upper.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 4:39:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanx, that's the theology I have always followed...

S/F
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top