Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2017 12:44:41 PM EDT
I am getting ready to start ordering parts for my first AR-15 build and have a few questions.  I have been doing a lot of research and my first purchase is going to be an Aero forged lower.  That being said I am wondering the following:

1.  Is the PSA lower part kits a good match with the Aero lower receivers?  If so, which PSA kit (MOE LPK W/O FIRE CONTROL GROUP; EPT MOE LOWER PARTS KIT; MOE K2 LPK; etc)?  I don't mind buying a separate trigger and stock if necessary.  

2.  What special tools will I need to order?  

3.  Any specific considerations I need to keep in mind when purchasing the lower receiver and lower part kit?

My father has an Ruger AR-15 and will be helping me build mine.  I am in no hurry to buy immediately as I plan to purchase as funds become available.  My kids also enjoy shooting my father's so I figured I'd mention in case any parts might be best for younger shooters (teen and 10 year old).  The gun will be mine (kids will shoot occasionally) and my main concerns are durability and reliability.  

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 2:24:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Id say go with the w/o fire control kit and pick up one of their EPT trigger groups. Awesome for a $30 trigger. As far as tools go, a 1/16 in punch and a vice will be nice to have on hand. kinda takes 3 hands to assemble.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:27:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Are you assembling the upper, or buying a pre assembled one?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Id say go with the w/o fire control kit and pick up one of their EPT trigger groups. Awesome for a $30 trigger. As far as tools go, a 1/16 in punch and a vice will be nice to have on hand. kinda takes 3 hands to assemble.
View Quote
This and roll pin punch set.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:28:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks everyone!  Right now I am leaning toward assembling the upper myself but am not totally opposed to buying a pre-assembled one.  I'm still in the process of researching.  Does the type of lower I assemble dictate my options on the upper?  Or is everything pretty interchangeable?  Also, are the Spike's Tactical lower ($79.99) or the Mega Arms lower ($99.95) that much better than the Aero lower ($49.99)?  Are the Spike's Tactical and Mega Arms lower worth the extra money?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I Think the Spikes and Aero would be pretty similar quality wise.  The Mega would be a step up in the fit/finish department and are great quality.  In reality all of those lowers will work fine, but I think the mega is worth extra.  Also look into ALG, White Oak, or Sons of Liberty Gun Works lower parts kits.  The PSA ones are not terrible, but can have inconsistent quality.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:08:51 PM EDT
[#6]
PSA parts are good to go, I have used their standard kit with the MOE+ grip and the standard MOE Grip.  I got the kit without the stock because I went with the CTR Stock over the MOE.

As far as tools:
-Punch Set, roll pin starters are good to have as well.
-Armorers Wrench
-Vice
-Vice blocks for upper and lower, get the clamping kind for the upper
-Torque Wrench, I got mine at Harbor Freight and it works for what I need it to on my uppers
-electrical tape, good to have to keep from scratching up the upper and lower with the punches

Aero is a good choice, I built my first rifle off of an Aero set.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:49:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:Does the type of lower I assemble dictate my options on the upper?  Or is everything pretty interchangeable?  
View Quote
Nope, some brands might not have as nice of fit and finish, but all will mate up fine.  Have fun.  Just picked up one of those Aero lowers from Brownells for 49.99.  Thats a deal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 1:51:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Oh, and I have had Spikes, PSA, Anderson, Radical, Mega lowers.... you might notice a little bit of extra attention to detail but it boils down to personal preference and your budget.  Only thing I would absolutely stay away from is a polymer lower.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:32:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 Aero x15 lowers. They are GTG.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks all!  I am going to go with the Aero lower.  For the lower parts kit, what would be a good option for this build (PSA, Spike's, ALG, White Oak, Sons of Liberty, something else)?  I think I want one without the stock, pistol grip and trigger, but will consider one with trigger and/or pistol grip if a better value (I don't mind if the pistol grip ends up getting thrown away).  I don't want to spend a fortune on the trigger but would imagine I could get better quality if I purchase separately?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 8:17:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I've done some more research and plan on purchasing the ALG Defense ACT (ALG Combat Trigger) trigger.  I plan on ordering this along with the Aero lower.  Any suggestions on the lower parts kit?  Something with more consistent quality-control and customer service then the PSA kit maybe?
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 10:29:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Good choice on the trigger.  Any of the bigger name parts kits are gtg. You could go with ALG since you are ordering the trigger .  They are a sister company to Geissele .  BCM, WHite Oak, Colt etc.  Sons of Liberty Gun Works is not as well known but i just installed one of theirs and was really happy with the quality.  They use all milspec parts and no MIM parts like the lower end ones.  I ordered the "Blaster starter kit" to save some money because i always swap the trigger, grip and trigger guard anyway.  Its under $40 and there is no point in buying a kit with a trigger unless you want an extra since you will have the ACT. https://sonsoflibertygunworks.com/collections/components/products/rifle-builder-kit?variant=3083616065
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks!  Is a collapsible stock the best option if more than one person will be shooting the rifle (especially my 10 year old son)?  If so, what is a good model that won't break the bank?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:42:19 AM EDT
[#14]
I prefer an adjustable stock.  I like the B5 Systems SOPMOD personally.  It is around $55-60.  Magpul makes a variety of quality stocks as well and there is nothing wrong with the milspec waffle stock if you want to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:48:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Also, be careful when selecting the receiver extension which is what connects the lower receiver to the stock.  Make sure it is  milspec sized and made of 7075 aluminuim.  Some companies still sell commercail sized and even ones marked "milspec'' could be made of 6061. You could stick with Aero because you are getting the lower from them.  BCM also makes a good one
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#16]
As mentioned get a collapsible stock if for several shooters esp children.  One other thing to note on receiver extension/stock is that there are two diameters ie Mil Spec and Commerical.  Just get both the same and you shouldn't have any problems.  As far as which stock that all personal choice but I prefer the LMT/B5 SOPMOD.

CD
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 2:05:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks!  So if I purchase the following, what else do I need to complete the lower build:

AERO PRECISION - AR-15 GEN 2 STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER, BLACK
MAGPUL - AR-15 STR STOCK COLLAPSIBLE MIL-SPEC
ALG DEFENSE - ACT AR-15 TRIGGER SET
WHITE OAKS - LOWER PARTS KIT WO/TRIGGER OR SONS OF LIBERTY BLASTER STARTER KIT
TRIGGER GUARD (If Purchasing the Sons of Liberty LPK)
BUFFER TUBE AND SPRING - Not sure what to buy....Carbine, H, H2, H3, Rifle.  I will probably be putting a 16" barrel on it but haven't really done any research on building the upper.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:50:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks!  So if I purchase the following, what else do I need to complete the lower build:

AERO PRECISION - AR-15 GEN 2 STRIPPED LOWER RECEIVER, BLACK
MAGPUL - AR-15 STR STOCK COLLAPSIBLE MIL-SPEC
ALG DEFENSE - ACT AR-15 TRIGGER SET
WHITE OAKS - LOWER PARTS KIT WO/TRIGGER OR SONS OF LIBERTY BLASTER STARTER KIT
TRIGGER GUARD (If Purchasing the Sons of Liberty LPK)
BUFFER TUBE AND SPRING - Not sure what to buy....Carbine, H, H2, H3, Rifle.  I will probably be putting a 16" barrel on it but haven't really done any research on building the upper.

Thanks!
View Quote
Get an H buffer of you plan on shooting brass cased ammo, if you will shoot steel case ammo then get a carbine buffer. I recommend getting a BCM buffer tube assembly, because it's of known quality. Also I would definitely go with White Oak for your LPK w/o trigger.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:39:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Agree with the above post of starting with the H buffer.  If you buy the BCM kit it comes with a carbine buffer but is it not to expensive to switch out.  Or you could just buy the parts separate from them.  I know ALG sells a buffer kit with the H buffer as an option.  The White Oak kit is a high quality kit, but i wouldn't discount the Sons of Liberty one.  I have purchased it and it was very good quality.  Read the description they are very open about the parts and what they are constructed of.  I would go with whatever the cheaper option is TBH
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:42:17 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a PSA built complete rifle w/ EPT trigger and a PSA built lower with standard milspec trigger

While neither comes close to my target 10/22 or anything worked over by a decent 'smith, the EPT is noticeably better than the standard milspec.

That said, every retailer I've looked at for the past few months is running seemingly basement prices on lots of things changing frequently.  Get a new gmail account and sign up for the various specials lists and wait for a deal on a real nice trigger.  My "spam" today from joebob's listed some triggers on sale for what seemed good prices.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top