BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2017 5:38:42 PM EDT
Building a HD pistol in .223

Max HD range is 10 yards.
Max outdoor/ fun/ range practice is 100 yards.
Will probablt never see a 1000 rounds.

Which would you pick?

Price is a factor, which is why I am not buying the SD-E/ SSA-E

Regards
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:30:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Honestly, for a home defense pistol, I woud simply use the stock milspec or at the most drop in a Trident trigger for around $75-$80. They can be had in 3 or 4 pound, flat or curved models. They are terrific triggers for the money. My second choice would be the CMC. I have several in my guns and have never had a problem with any of them. I have sold a lot of CMC's in the shop as well, and to my knowledge they have been troublefree as well. I'll put it this way. I never had one returned to me.

I have sold a few Geissele's also. Other than some dry firing after installing some of them, I have no real experience with them, so I won't comment on them.

Same goes for the Larue product. I do see on here where some people love them, but no experience = no comment.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#2]
ALG ACT
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:06:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
ALG ACT
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ALG ACT
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:34:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I would go with the LaRue,  they make good stuff. I just ordered one to try out.  I currently have an AR Gold,  Geissele SD-E have had an SSA-E and want to see how the LaRue is.  Once figuring out what works best for me,  I'll switch everything on my precision rigs to that.

My carbine on the other hand runs a standard milspec FCG.

I've used an Armalite two stage national match.  Nice trigger for the price.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Which would you pick?
View Quote
For HD it sure wouldn't be a 223 pistol  
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:54:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Which would you pick?
Yeah, I know.  I've been using an 870 for 20 years but ARFCOM says they are for the birds
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:26:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Both are great triggers but neither are ideal for home defense in my opinion.  I would stick with a polished/enhanced milspec trigger group like the ACT, QMS, or BCM's or PSA's versions.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 1:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Larue MBT.

Great price in a great trigger ($99 when they have the sales) and they include a heavy spring that makes the trigger pull about one pound heavier.
View Quote
This. And make sure to run the heavy spring. You don't want a 3-4 lb trigger for a HD only rifle. I personally run the PSA EPT trigger with a standard milspec hammer spring and a JP trigger spring. Breaks very clean at 5.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Between the two you listed I would go with the Larue.  It is an excellent trigger for the price and the quality is first rate.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#12]
MBT!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:51:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I have the ALG ACT, the CMC and the LaRue.  The ACT would be very adequate for a HD weapon.  If you want more accuracy, like some target work, the other two would be better.  Remember the CMC is single stage, while the LaRue is two stage.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:16:12 PM EDT
[#14]
MBT with heavier trigger spring.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:33:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I have the ALG ACT, the CMC and the LaRue.  The ACT would be very adequate for a HD weapon.  If you want more accuracy, like some target work, the other two would be better.  Remember the CMC is single stage, while the LaRue is two stage.
View Quote
FYI, the CMCs are made in both single and two stage configurations. The two stage units are a somewhat new addition to the product line. IIRC they were added sometime during the last few years. Could be off by a year or 3.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:47:20 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ALG ACT
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:18:09 AM EDT
[#17]
MBT

Have one in a 300 blk pistol, works great. I like the wider trigger bow.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 6:29:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Have both. The Larue is a 2 stage so it goes into precision rifles. I have a 300 BO 8.5: RA Barrel with a single stage CMC. Also have the ALG ACT and it is GTG. Of the 2 you asked about I went with the CMC.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:30:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks. Someone mentioned Trident.  They seem decent as well.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:45:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks. Someone mentioned Trident.  They seem decent as well.
View Quote
I sold about 40 Tridents in the last year. They all measured a legitimate 3.5 to 4.5 lbs on my Lyman trigger pull gauge. For less than $80 it is imho hard to go wrong if you want that light a trigger on an HD gun.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:25:20 AM EDT
[#21]
I originally bought enough CMC triggers to outfit a number of my rifles. They were well built triggers, pull weight was light and the trigger itself seemed crisp to my tier 5 fingers. These are enclosed units, so I couldn't examine anything inside the housing, but they seemed well enough made. These comments apply only to their single stage.

I also picked up a larue MBT which is obviously not a drop in, enclosed unit. Each piece looks well made, comes with two weight springs, and comes with the backing of a company that some here love, and some hate. It appears, regardless of ones feelings, Mark Larue stands behind his products. I personally absolutely love all the larue products I've bought. With MBT's being so reasonably priced, and such high quality, all my CMC's have been sold (for more than the price of a new MBT) and replaced with larue products
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top