Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/3/2017 11:29:26 PM EDT
So, what is the “industry standard” here?

There is some brand that Home Depot carries, but I want a proven set. What’s everyone using?

This is to get a delta ring assembly onto a barrel assembly that already has the nut in place along with the front sight base and handguard cap, etc.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I purchased a set at my local auto parts store that comes with a set of "heads" that you can swap out for different sizes.  

They work just fine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 11:45:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I purchased a set at my local auto parts store that comes with a set of "heads" that you can swap out for different sizes.  

They work just fine.
View Quote
As do the ACE Hardware Brand ($14) or even the $5 ones from Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:05:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have had a set I got from Home Depot now for about 8 years, I can change the tips on the head, I paid $12 for them and have used them on my 1 Ton trucks as well as my AR guns and all kinds of other things with no problems at all.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#4]
I use knipex but that's only because that's what's in my tool box at work, they are more expensive but work great. You could get by with some OTC snap rings or anything else.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#5]
snap rings / slip rings suck and so do the tools that remove them. i have used snap-on all the way down to harbor freight specials. buy the cheapest pair you can find with multiple heads. no matter how many times you remove or install them there is a 50-50 chance you will look like a retard the next time you try removing or installing them.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 12:38:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Okay, I saw the ones at Depot with multiple heads. Damn things were $30 so I didn't know if that was the going rate or if there is something better for the same price or something just as good for cheaper.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 1:57:39 PM EDT
[#7]
These are the ones I bought at Home Depot a few years ago and they work fine for everything I have wanted to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-927-8-Inch-Retaining-Plier/dp/B000TG80SY
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:58:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
These are the ones I bought at Home Depot a few years ago and they work fine for everything I have wanted to do.

https://www.amazon.com/Channellock-927-8-Inch-Retaining-Plier/dp/B000TG80SY
View Quote
Yeah, those are the ones at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 3:16:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, those are the ones at Home Depot.
View Quote
And HD wants $30 bucks for them now?  Yikes..

Buy them from Amazon and have them free in a couple of days.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:18:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Basically, “ANY” snap ring pliers that are big enough to handle the delta ring’s snap ring will work.  Mine are a pair of snap ring pliers that were thrown out with a GI tool bag.  They were rusty but usable, so now they’re mine, and they work fine.

These from Advance Auto Parts will work fine - and they’re $4.99.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Am I the only one that just uses a pair of needle nose pliers?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top