First 15:

Attachment Attached File

29 loaded up to go:

Attachment Attached File

49 FN 40 grn Hornady varmint rounds fired, 0 malfunctions:

Attachment Attached File

Relevant parts:

Trigger jig from eBay - my apologies for ARFCOM selling your information:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/223-5-56-Trigger-Test-Jig-Fixture-Gunsmith-tool-Gunsmithing-154-pins-Fine-Grip/271843743803

Or a broken link, just copy & take out the space:  www.e bay.com/itm/223-5-56-Trigger-Test-Jig-Fixture-Gunsmith-tool-Gunsmithing-154-pins-Fine-Grip/271843743803

The Hera Arms CQB thumbhole stock:

http://gnarlygorilla.com/hera-usa-cqr-stock-ar-15-replacement-fixed-stock-mil-spec-polymer-od-green

The AR57 5.7x28mm upper:

http://www.classicfirearms.com/ar-57-upper-001-slc16-mlok

The takedown pin, available from the original Cavalry Manufacturing, inventor of the near-indestructable Cav Arms Mk2, now made by GWACS:

http://www.cavmfg.com/CAV-15-MKII-Take-Down-Pins-CAVTDP.htm

You'll also need a hacksaw or a Dremel, to whack off enough off the back of the trigger jig to fit the stock.

Original thread, covering installation of the Hera CQB stock, and test firing of the auto eject uppers.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Master-Lyndon-build-thread-trigger-jig-thumbhole-stock-223-upper-test-fired-27-May/121-709384/

Pistol entering testing soon.  Parts are here!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:42:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Who did that?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:03:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Yours truly.  Sliced off the back of the trigger jig to fit in the stock.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
what am I looking at?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:11:06 AM EDT
[#4]
A semi-auto Lyndon with a 50 round clip, a shoulder thing that goes up, some terrible Dremeling, and no serial number.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:11:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
what am I looking at?
View Quote
223 5.56 Trigger Test Fixture AR Style Gunsmithing tool for .154" pins. It looks like they used Trigger Test Fixture not cut up a lower. AR5.7 upper & the Stock is holding buffertube. Drilled hole for Takedown pin & dremel for grips bevertail. You could mount(bolt or screw) a second endplate to the Trigger Fixture to help hold the buffertube if it needed more support.

Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Off topic.

This is not General Discussion.  AeroE
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:47:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:  223 5.56 Trigger Test Fixture AR Style Gunsmithing tool for .154" pins. It looks like they used Trigger Test Fixture not cut up a lower. AR5.7 upper & the Stock is holding buffertube. Drilled hole for Takedown pin & dremel for grips bevertail. You could mount(bolt or screw) a second endplate to the Trigger Fixture to help hold the buffertube if it needed more support.

https://cdn3.volusion.com/jbmff.rawwc/v/vspfiles/photos/SD20-179-5.jpg?1399841119
View Quote
Very close.  The trigger jig I used already had the takedown pin drilled.  Good point on the endplate, hadn't thought of that.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:21:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Your call.  This is a perfectly good spot.  Only metalworking was shaving off the back of the trigger jig - which I did with a Dremel, poorly.

Hoping to run 100 rounds through it Thursday w/ my BIL & FIL.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:44:33 PM EDT
[#10]
It certainly is BIY!   I got one like seeing this stuff.  I'd rather stay out of GD to do so.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
@ roughly $800, it's about twice the price of 2 entry level ARs; but there's no serial number, anyone who can work a hacksaw or a Dremel can make it - it's a single cut across the back of the trigger jig, and presto chango, you've got a 50 shot semi-auto rifle.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:14:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Shhh... before the ATF arbitrarily decides that the trigger jig is now a firearm...
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 2:32:05 AM EDT
[#13]
Backbencher I got you beat like a rented mule in the dremel dept.

Still excited to see you fire that
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:18:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Shhh... before the ATF arbitrarily decides that the trigger jig is now a firearm...
View Quote
hence my deleted ATF meme
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 9:30:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Tagging for AAR.

Neat concept!
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:22:44 AM EDT
[#16]
we dont need no sinking lower

let us know how it functions.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
hence my deleted ATF meme
View Quote
It's a possibility.  There are some ways around this if BATFE determines this particular jig is a firearm.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:45:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Ok, laugh all you want, but how do you load the magazine?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 7:52:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok, figgered it out.  The whole 90 degree turn thing threw me.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#20]
I like it.  Probably would have gone for one of those slidefire stocks before the Cali derpy derp stock.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:59:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:  I like it.  Probably would have gone for one of those slidefire stocks before the Cali derpy derp stock.
View Quote
Oddly, that particular stock isn't legal in Cali.  And I don't think a Slidefire, as fun as it might be, would give us the strength we need to support the buffer tube.  But you're welcome to try it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#22]
Bump.  D-1.  The little screws that hold the pistol grip adapter to the trigger jig have been Loctited.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:27:08 AM EDT
[#23]
I used a dremel a little on this one
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#24]
interesting concept.  I too think there has to be a way to reinforce the buffer tube.  Maybe take a demilled back end from a lower, machine it out to mate to the trigger system.  add a couple pins, maybe do some AL welding.  no serial, no loss of a real lower?

I like the concept!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:59:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
interesting concept.  I too think there has to be a way to reinforce the buffer tube.  Maybe take a demilled back end from a lower, machine it out to mate to the trigger system.  add a couple pins, maybe do some AL welding.  no serial, no loss of a real lower?

I like the concept!
View Quote
Imagine a larger/thicker version of a aluminum end plate.  The kind with the QD socket.  Wouldn't take much to machine a few, threaded for the receiver ext and a hole or 2 to bolt to the back of the trigger pack.  Something like the rear reunion on an AK.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Turns out all it needs is a zip tie from the bottom of the trigger jig and over the top of the Picatinny rail.

99 rounds fired, no malfunctions.  American Eagle groups a little down and to the left from the FN Hornady.

50 American Eagles loaded up, ready to go:

Attachment Attached File

Really - 50:

Attachment Attached File

And 50 spent cases, after zero malfunctions:

Attachment Attached File

Took me a while to zero:

Attachment Attached File

Can you tell I have astigmatism?  Seems the American Eagle was a bit less precise than the FN ammo, and grouped lower and to the left a bit.  The handguard close to the chamber got uncomfortably warm about halfway through the magazine:

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 6:53:07 PM EDT
[#27]
That's innovative...
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:17:36 PM EDT
[#29]
Glad to see it works. I wonder how a Larue TAC would work for holding the FCG.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:30:38 PM EDT
[#30]
How is the magazine attached to the gun? Duck tape?
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:32:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
How is the magazine attached to the gun? Duck tape?
View Quote
AR57 uppers take PS90 magazines. They snap into the upper from the top and eject out the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:  Glad to see it works. I wonder how a Larue TAC would work for holding the FCG.
View Quote
You'd have to drill the rear takedown pin hole in, but if this picture is correct, he's left a guide:

@LaRue_Tactical

jaqufrost, I've ordered your eBay jig, now I have to hunt down the compliance adapter to build the pistol.  It's gonna have the "non-pistol grip" pistol grip shape, IIRC.

One of us should modify the compliance part instead of the jig.  It would be hilarious if we could build a pistol that takes down into a collection of non-pistol parts.

It might be possible to do that w/ the rifle configuration by modifying a Hera Arms compliance stock that comes w/o the thumbhole - it should actually be stronger than the CQB I used, and in a free state you can still cut a thumbhole into it.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#34]
This was a long time coming, but I'm happy you stuck to the vision.  Congratulations.  Not a practical route to a gun for most people ($$$, for one thing), but counterexamples to stupid laws don't need to be practical to prove a point, and this does.  First they came for our 3D printers, then they came for our trigger jigs . . .
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:55:01 PM EDT
[#35]
I would've called it the ghetto-fender 57

Interesting how that trigger housing is made in CA. Why does it have the rear takedown pin drilled? I don't think you're able to attach an upper because of the rubber stopper.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:13:22 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:  I would've called it the ghetto-fender 57

Interesting how that trigger housing is made in CA. Why does it have the rear takedown pin drilled? I don't think you're able to attach an upper because of the rubber stopper.
View Quote
Lyndon Baines Johnson was a President who was fond of serial numbers.  I am not so fond of him.

I imagine they drilled the rear takedown pin hole so you can make sure your hammer is correctly contacting the firing pin when you use a short hammer, or to make sure your hammer isn't catching on a bolt that isn't shaped properly for it, as in some 9x19mm bolts.

Fortunately, the rubber stopper unscrews, and I was able to screw it onto the bottom of the jig, in order to keep the zip ties from sliding off.

One thing I kinda forgot - the charging handle.  If you mount the zip ties too far forward, it becomes impossible to charge the rifle.  Charging the rifle presses the zip ties against the top of the trigger, so when charging a live round, it is imperative you've put the safety on first.  This is not a weapon that any manufacturer would produce - safety is on you.

jaqufrost, ordered us a pair of right handed Ledge Grips - one tan, one black.  Just let me know which color you want.  If anyone else wants to join us in the Lyndon pistol trials:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/09/07/ledgegrip-featureless-grip-ca-ar-15s

http://www.bande3d.com/ledgegrip-product-page

Yes, they're hideous.  I take special delight in using DPRK compliance parts to build an unserialized pistol.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:56:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Lyndon Baines Johnson was a President who was fond of serial numbers.  I am not so fond of him.

I imagine they drilled the rear takedown pin hole so you can make sure your hammer is correctly contacting the firing pin when you use a short hammer, or to make sure your hammer isn't catching on a bolt that isn't shaped properly for it, as in some 9x19mm bolts.

Fortunately, the rubber stopper unscrews, and I was able to screw it onto the bottom of the jig, in order to keep the zip ties from sliding off.

One thing I kinda forgot - the charging handle.  If you mount the zip ties too far forward, it becomes impossible to charge the rifle.  Charging the rifle presses the zip ties against the top of the trigger, so when charging a live round, it is imperative you've put the safety on first.  This is not a weapon that any manufacturer would produce - safety is on you.

jaqufrost, ordered us a pair of right handed Ledge Grips - one tan, one black.  Just let me know which color you want.  If anyone else wants to join us in the Lyndon pistol trials:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/09/07/ledgegrip-featureless-grip-ca-ar-15s

http://www.bande3d.com/ledgegrip-product-page

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/18077425_255771948220615_8695223525256102768_o-660x371.jpg

Yes, they're hideous.  I take special delight in using DPRK compliance parts to build an unserialized pistol.
View Quote
Interesting , I've found those grips with weird angles awkward. To me it doesn't feel like you're holding the rifle in any secure fashion. I know most of the are to mimic the feel of a hunting stock, but with a hunting stock I can still wrap my thumb around it to get a secure hold...

It's also interesting that they added a portion to prevent the stock from teloscoping. I don't know how well that would be defined as a "fixed stock" in Calis eyes, as you can still remove the stock without the use of tools, and so far there hasn't been anyone to test that portion of the law.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 1:03:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:  Interesting , I've found those grips with weird angles awkward. To me it doesn't feel like you're holding the rifle in any secure fashion. I know most of the are to mimic the feel of a hunting stock, but with a hunting stock I can still wrap my thumb around it to get a secure hold...

It's also interesting that they added a portion to prevent the stock from teloscoping. I don't know how well that would be defined as a "fixed stock" in Calis eyes, as you can still remove the stock without the use of tools, and so far there hasn't been anyone to test that portion of the law.
View Quote
That particular stock requires a pair of pliers to get it off - I have one.

The grip angle is certainly awkward.  I'm only interested in this grip, b/c like the Hera Arms CQB, it will hold the buffer tube for us, even if we have to glue it down.  It also lowers the price on the grip, @ half the price of the Hera, and allows folks w/ SBR 57 uppers to play.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:47:59 AM EDT
[#39]
 Ok, you got me interested. IN!
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Anybody have a beltfed upper or one of those 50BMG ones where the magazine inserts into the side?  That'd be pretty funny to get working on this "lower".
I do have a pile of the LaRue MBT trigger jig thingies here.  But I don't own any uppers that will work because they all want the magazines locked into the lower.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 4:11:50 PM EDT
[#41]
You can shoot your uppers as a single shot self ejector.

ETA:  If you have a .22" LR upper, you make a single shot .22" LR pistol that self-ejects w/ a regular pistol grip.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#42]
this seems like the single best application for a 3d printer in the gun world. someone GET THE FUCK on this.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#43]
The original thread, now archived - covers the installation of the stock - helpful to anyone w/ a Hera CQB stock, cutting of the trigger jig, and test firing of the auto eject uppers.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Master-Lyndon-build-thread-trigger-jig-thumbhole-stock-223-upper-test-fired-27-May/121-709384/
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:23:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
this seems like the single best application for a 3d printer in the gun world. someone GET THE FUCK on this.
View Quote
If I'm going through the trouble to print something, I'll go ahead and include a magwell and the threaded hole for the buffer tube.  Its like $0.50 more plastic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:54:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:  Anybody have a beltfed upper or one of those 50BMG ones where the magazine inserts into the side?  That'd be pretty funny to get working on this "lower".
I do have a pile of the LaRue MBT trigger jig thingies here.  But I don't own any uppers that will work because they all want the magazines locked into the lower.
View Quote
A beltfed upper would be fun, particularly the 9x19mm or the .22" LR one, especially w/ a RLL.  A .50" BMG upper would fit, but I would expect it to shear the small screws in the jig holding the jig's pistol grip adapter, which would result in one wearing one's .50" BMG upper.  A steel jig with an integral pistol grip mount might not break there under .50" BMG recoil, but then you'd be worried about the pistol grip screw or the pistol grip itself failing, as Hera didn't intend for their stock to take recoil forces the way we're channeling them.
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#46]
I found this:
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Want.  Link?

That looks like it's already a lower for something w/ the sn on the upper.  That might make this child's play..
Link Posted: 9/30/2017 6:04:13 PM EDT
[#49]
https://www.greenswamptactical.com/collections/firearms/products/generic-fire-control-group

Chop off the front and we're in business.

You could cut a slot in the front for ejection, and then make you an extension that tied into the front lugs.

That's a damn good find.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/2/2017 7:25:31 PM EDT
[#50]
They're here!

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top