BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2017 3:31:37 AM EDT
BLACK RAIN BILLET LOWER
GEISSELE SSA-E  TRIGGER
BCM  MIL SPEC RECEIVER EXTENSION TUBE ( MIL SPEC EXTENSION TUBE 7075 )  
NOVESKE QD  REAR SLING MOUNT PLATE -  BLUE SPRINCO BUFFER SPRING – ST1 BUFFER
MAGPUL BLK MIAD GEN1.1  GRIP     STIPPLED
BAD ASS 90° BLACK
BLACK   B5 Systems Enhanced Sopmod Buttstock  MIL SPEC
ARMALITE BOLT CATCH

SEEKINS PRECISION SP223 BILLET UPPER RECEIVER
SLR 14" Intrepid Handguard- MLOK 14.3 oz
MICRO MOA14.5" Midlength 5.56 NATO 1/7 Govm't Contour Barrel
VOODOO INNOVATIONS MELONITED GAS TUBE
VLTOR  GAS BLOCK
EPSILON 556 BRAKE
VOODOO INNOVATIONS BCG
AXTS RAPTOR AMBI CHARGING HANDLE

GEISSELE PRECISION EXTENDED MOUNT  BLACK

SWFA 1-6

Not the best pin weld I have done but it will work.  Ill just fill the rest in with Duracoat.

Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Love the detailed pics!  Looks great OP!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:04:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:36:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I envy your work bench setup.  Top notch!
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:41:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice work.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 7:52:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I like your carbine and your homemade bench block.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you guys very much.

@freqlord98
@GoRebels
@Bwharton36
@muvef
@MikeE23666
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:21:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Nice pics. I love pre-meditated threads.
Is that barrel melonite/nitrided/QPQ'd ?
Just curious how hard it was to drill. I've heard horror stories about smoking drill bits 
I have a melonited barrel I want to drill and pin for an A2 FSB but don't want to open a can of worms.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:11:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Great build, love the detailed pics. Enjoy!!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#9]
@alpharomeofifteen

Nice pics. I love pre-meditated threads.
Is that barrel melonite/nitrided/QPQ'd ?
Just curious how hard it was to drill. I've heard horror stories about smoking drill bits  
I have a melonited barrel I want to drill and pin for an A2 FSB but don't want to open a can of worms.

Barrel material is 4150V and BlackNitrided inside and out as well as the extension.     melonite/nitrided/QPQ'd saltbath nitride are all the same thing.
 When you drill make sure you have a new cobalt bit.  I use a Ryobi hand drill for all my work and have no problems.  I had to
press a little harder but that is just to get through the thin outside hardness from the Saltbath Nitride finish.
Use wd40 or cutting fluid to help.  A drill press would be great, and I need to get one.

Just a snip from google
Cobalt drill bits are particularly successful in cutting through hard metals such as stainless steel and cast iron, although they can be used for softer materials, too. Cobalt drill bits are not made of pure cobalt, but rather a steel alloy with 5 to 8 percent cobalt. The 5-percent alloy is known as M35 grade, and the 8-percent alloy is M42. The cobalt increases the strength of the steel and makes it more heat-resistant; this is an important factor in drilling hard materials because the friction of metal against metal can produce high temperatures that damage the material or the drill bit. Bosch, for instance, makes a cobalt drill bit that can withstand temperatures of up to 1,100 degrees Fahrenheit (593 degrees Celsius).

https://sites.google.com/site/freeballisticcalculator/black-nitride-melonite-and-qpq

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/Are_melonite_and_salt_bath_nitride_the_same_thing_/5-1683478/
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I knew they are all basically the same process I just listed all the names for sentence enhancement 

I'm going to give it a try. I have a drill press and the proper bits. If it gives me trouble when I get through the FSB and start drilling into the barrel- I have a small carbide end mill I can drop in there to get through the surface.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:36:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Installed an A2 FSB on a nitrided 4150 chrome moly barrel last night in the garage. Drilling/reaming process was not unlike the phosphate 4150 or 416R stainless barrels I've done.
Drilling went smoothly and I didn't even have a cobalt drill bit, jut a TiN coated HSS bit. I'm not sure what the hype is about drilling on a nitrided barrel. The process was uneventful.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top