Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2016 1:45:57 AM EDT
So I'm finishing up my .300 BLK (sigh, regrets, etc.) build. I did it for the same reasons everyone does, but, shit ammo is expensive if you can find it (online, sure, but $0.65 to >$1 per round... damnit!), but I'm also building a rig for my wife... Lower pictured below (not the IMI)...

We don't hunt. It's more of a phylosophical/election thing. She's more more interested in long range--yeah, I know, 556 isn't quite long range--but... I got bought a 24" barrel for her rig nonetheless since... who cares? They can't won't likely ban that shit. And I'm building her a badass AF rifle--her style... Skeleton setup shown below...

So, my question is: what's a good FF hand guard length?

I mean, I'm not doing 20-24 inches for a badass SBR looking setup for a barrel that doesn't even take a muzzle device; I'd much rather go free float, but this motherfucker is heavy AF. I'm putting a substantial Magpul stock on it, but what's she going to like better: sort of a shorter handguard where there's a whole lot of scary black rifle barrel sticking out, or something more mid-length? I haven't measured, as I only received the barrel today, but I suppose I should get something long enough to hide the gas block--maybe half way down? It's an MAS Defence barrel--but is thing going to to be cool? Looks count for something, but since it's a scary black rifle for my wife, I want her to like it.

Thanks my brothers! Go Hillary ... My disgust with the 2nd Ammendment shown below.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:40:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Rile length gas system?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:51:55 AM EDT
[#2]
just looked it up, it's a rifle length gas system. I would personally recommend around 13" where it will end near the gas block.

There are lots of good options,
https://geissele.com/13-super-modular-rail-mk8-m-lok.html
These two are 12.6" and would end right near the back end of the gas block.
http://jtarmament.com/product/jt-m-lok-handguard/
http://www.midwestindustriesinc.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=category.display&category_ID=2469

Plenty of other options out there.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm pretty much set on my next build being a 24" rifle.  I just finished a 20" earlier this year.  I think any handguards shorter than 15" would look silly on a 24" barrel.  I used te Midwest Insdustries slimline or whatever they're called.  Here's a pic; I've since replaced the stock and added the muzzle brake, but now imagine a four inch longer barrel.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 11:01:58 AM EDT
[#4]
How about a 16.5" carbon tube that weighs 13.5oz?

http://www.cobratacsystems.com/collections/01a-free-float-quad-rails/products/carbon-fiber-hand-guard-gen-4-hex-key-mod?variant=20325024455
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#5]
You need to suppress the blk to be impressed

Geissele 15"
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need to suppress the blk to be impressed

Geissele 15"
View Quote

And reload for probably a quarter the cost of buying new.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#7]
While I would agree that the 15" looks a little better, it is also heavier, and more likely to flex while loading bipods. Here's a 12.65" on a barrel with rifle length gas tube (roll pin in gas block has since been replaced)

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 1:13:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While I would agree that the 15" looks a little better, it is also heavier, and more likely to flex while loading bipods. Here's a 12.65" on a barrel with rifle length gas tube (roll pin in gas block has since been replaced)
http://i.imgur.com/k4QOOt8.jpg
View Quote

Thanks everyone!

This is sort of exactly the setup I'm looking for. So it's kosher for the FF handguard to not hide the gas block--yes, BTW, rifle length. I figure this scary black rifle won't be the type where the handguard runs nearly the length of the barrel. In fact, the .300 BLK I'm finishing up has a 13"er... Perhaps I might buy a longer handguard for it (16" barrel + ~2" muzzle device, put the 13" on the 24" 556, and get the badassness of the handguard running the length on the shorter barrel.

Thoughts?

Also, the 24" barrel is heavy AF. I've got the Magpul ACS milspec I'd planned on slamming up on this motherfucker... Are there better options for balancing weight other than planning on a bipod? Since it's mainly for my wife, I don't expect her to sling it and build up the arm strength... Unless it's not gonna be so bad once it's done? I intended on building her a heavier rifle to reduce (perceived) recoil, but I also want her to like it.

Thanks again!
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 4:32:38 PM EDT
[#10]
A good muzzle brake does a lot to reduce felt recoil.  I started putting the Miculek brake on my rifles after an instructor at a tactical carbine course let me shoot his back to back with my own.

My 16" M&P15, which weighs about 7 lbs, has virtually no felt recoil with that brake.  I think that would make your wife much happier than an 11-lb rifle. Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 6:54:33 PM EDT
[#11]
really depends on if you want to see or get at the gas block
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top