BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
For what it's worth, I had a similar problem with a much-beloved company's lower not too terribly long ago.  USGI dropped free, PMAG M3's dropped free.  Non-windowed M2's were a bit tight and windowed M2's would not drop.  I ended up opening the well a bit with some filing and now all of my mags drop free.

I contacted this manufacturer and have not heard back, fwiw.  I'm hoping it's the shot show hangover.  Anderson may have this problem, but it's not all that uncommon with most manufacturers based on what I've seen over the past 8-10 years.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 5:22:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So it's your contention that because I expect them to give me trouble they are out of spec?
Damn I guess I better expect to win the lottery so I will.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
gee I wonder why.....

Probably because you expect them to give you trouble.
So it's your contention that because I expect them to give me trouble they are out of spec?
Damn I guess I better expect to win the lottery so I will.

After all of my time on earth, I have come to the conclusion, if you expect something to be bad, more than likely it is going to be bad!
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 4:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Out of curiosity (or fear...yeah, probably fear more than curiosity), last night I installed the mag catch in my Anderson lower which I hadn't began to build yet. Grabbed the only mag I currently have, PMAG 3 (unloaded) and pushed it in. Hit the button and the mag dropped free, nice as could be. This is the Anderson lower without the full trigger loop. Guess, I dodged a potential problem.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#4]
My Anderson lowers mate with different brand uppers like they were made together and the finish is better than different lowers. I bought them when things were lean after building a few different brand lowers I wonder why they aren't more popular.? I think you'd be hard pressed to find a better bang for your buck and the horse is cool looking
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

All that BRD, and no pics.

pics or it didn't happen.
View Quote
LOL. My BRD goes back to the mid 70s. It would take a thread in itself.

There are some pics in the SBR, Mk18, Mk12 and other picture threads. I'm not much of a photographer, just a cell phone for pics.

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like the detent is missing
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:47:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

... and the horse is cool looking
View Quote
The current ones are much better looking than the old ones:

Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:48:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't understand how you're going to complain about a 40 dollar lower ... get what you pay for and all that.
View Quote
A friend had to send his Noveske lower back, and he paid for that. My Anderson works.

No company is immune to screw ups.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FWIW: I have bought four Anderson lowers recently. $60/each. I used PSA standard LPKs for each. I have had the same two problems on all four of them. However, I like them, I will use them, and I will buy more in the future.

1. The bolt catch channel was tight on all four of them. The bolt catch simply didn't move after it was installed (even with a drop of oil). I had to rock the bolt catch back and forth vigorously for about 5 minutes on each lower until the bolt catch would move freely. Fairly easy fix.

2. The safety selector is not stiff on any of them. The selector barely makes a sound when moved from fire to safe. There is no satisfying click. I am using Magpul MOE FDE grips on all of them. I thought it was because the grip was bad or loose. But I have four of them and it's the same story on all four. So, I moved one of the grips, spring, and detent to a Stag Arms lower and the safety selector was insanely tight. It took significant effort to flick it from safe to fire. I'm not quite sure what's up with the safety selectors on these lowers. The safety works and does not move by itself or when jarred. However, it does not feel good when the safety doesn't positively "click" I am still investigating this issue. Perhaps a longer/stronger spring? I will also try removing any burs that may be in the safety spring channel.

Anyways, that's my two cents. Like I said: I like these lowers and will buy more. You just have to fiddle with them a bit.

View Quote

It sounds like the detent is missing if you know it's not a longer spring prob will fix it. I'd bet your not getting your pistol grip screwed all the way down to hold the spring and detent in place. Try looking in the screw grooves on the lower where the pistol grip goes and make sure there's nothing blocking the screw from being tightened all the way down or use a longer tool to give you more leverage
Link Posted: 1/29/2016 11:34:24 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

FWIW: I have bought four Anderson lowers recently. $60/each. I used PSA standard LPKs for each. I have had the same two problems on all four of them. However, I like them, I will use them, and I will buy more in the future.

1. The bolt catch channel was tight on all four of them. The bolt catch simply didn't move after it was installed (even with a drop of oil). I had to rock the bolt catch back and forth vigorously for about 5 minutes on each lower until the bolt catch would move freely. Fairly easy fix.

2. The safety selector is not stiff on any of them. The selector barely makes a sound when moved from fire to safe. There is no satisfying click. I am using Magpul MOE FDE grips on all of them. I thought it was because the grip was bad or loose. But I have four of them and it's the same story on all four. So, I moved one of the grips, spring, and detent to a Stag Arms lower and the safety selector was insanely tight. It took significant effort to flick it from safe to fire. I'm not quite sure what's up with the safety selectors on these lowers. The safety works and does not move by itself or when jarred. However, it does not feel good when the safety doesn't positively "click" I am still investigating this issue. Perhaps a longer/stronger spring? I will also try removing any burs that may be in the safety spring channel.

Anyways, that's my two cents. Like I said: I like these lowers and will buy more. You just have to fiddle with them a bit.

View Quote
Take a small bit of plastic wrap or paper and put in the spring hole of the grip before installing the spring, some of the grips are drilled a tad to deep.

Link Posted: 1/30/2016 10:22:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
FWIW: I have bought four Anderson lowers recently. $60/each. I used PSA standard LPKs for each. I have had the same two problems on all four of them.
View Quote

Sounds like an issue with the parts kits and not the lowers. The safety selector not being clicks is a big tip off.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 7:25:29 PM EDT
[#12]
i have one of these sitting in bubble wrap, still. not sure if ill ever build it out...
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:49:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I used an Anderson to build an El cheapo truck gun. I hated the  rollmark, so I did the pinestraw camo. Now, out of my 4 ar 's the Anderson is now my favorite. LGS had more on sale for $40, one followed me home. I'm undecided about this one's future. But $40 bucks? Hand me the salad fork.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]
The horse is a ripoff of the KY Unbridled Spirit tourism campaign.  Ghey
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:44:47 AM EDT
[#15]
grab aero blems for not much more.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 8:42:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I checked the PMag fit a couple weeks ago at a LGS. Yup they didn't drop free then and they still don't at home.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 10:23:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I checked the PMag fit a couple weeks ago at a LGS. Yup they didn't drop free then and they still don't at home.
View Quote

ill have to check it out myself. if it's all ghetto and gay ill just sell it.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 12:11:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
S what rollmark is your companies name for your line of lowers?
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 1:47:55 PM EDT
[#19]
I have to laugh at the people who get worked up about rollmarks. Is it a fashion show or a tool?  Geez....

I know this...I don't see the rollmark when I'm shooting and I don't sit around fondling my AR's, admiring their pretty rollmarks.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 2:47:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have to laugh at the people who get worked up about rollmarks. Is it a fashion show or a tool?  Geez....

I know this...I don't see the rollmark when I'm shooting and I don't sit around fondling my AR's, admiring their pretty rollmarks.
View Quote

90% of the reason I build ARs, is to post pictures and brag about it in this forum.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:27:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

90% of the reason I build ARs, is to post pictures and brag about it in this forum.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're a self-admitted gucci name fan? At least you're being honest.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Stuff them all in a flat rate box and send them to me. I will Paypal you the shipping fees!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Y'all can have'em.

Stuff them all in a flat rate box and send them to me. I will Paypal you the shipping fees!

yeah, what could go wrong conducting a state to state firearms sale using the USPS and Paypal..

Link Posted: 2/2/2016 4:41:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Uh well, earlier I posted pics of my Anderson builds, so...
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 12:20:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Many Many Andersons built, no issues at all, they are my go to lower, all mags drop free of at least 8 or 9 different brands, sounds like you got one of those chinese anderson lowers.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 1:24:32 PM EDT
[#25]
I am on my first build. I had no idea on which lowers to use so I saw an ad for an Anderson lower and the price was right. I am now just waiting for my recoil spring and buffer spring. Everything went smoothly so no complaints on the Anderson lower.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#26]
I just received an e-mail selling them @ $49.99. I feel like buying a couple.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 9:59:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I was looking for an 80% lower tonight, but they didn't have any at my local shop.  I walked out with and Anderson stripped lower instead.  I didn't have any issues with it.  Built it up in about an hour.  All my mags drop out freely and I didn't have any issues with the bolt catch.  Only issue I had was shooting my buffer retainer across the room twice, but that seems to be par for the course for me and I can't blame that on the lower
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:23:04 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The first Anderson lower I assembled about a year ago had a tight magwell and I had to work it to get mags to drop free.
Decided it was growing pains and I picked up another one last month or so. Guess what. Tight magwell and a out of spec (to narrow) bolt release channel. I opened the channel for clearance but I'm still fighting with the magwell.

Yep they're cheap but what good is that if you put hours into it to correct it? No more Anderson crap for me. Y'all can have'em.
View Quote

I just bought two for $100.

I don't mind them one bit.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:34:47 PM EDT
[#29]
They have tight magazine wells from the few I have seen but they all work fine with GI mags.  The trouble comes when you use polymer mags.  I had the same problem with Del-Ton lowers a few years ago.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 10:37:55 PM EDT
[#30]
Mine is perfect.
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#31]
I use GI mags, therefore I've had no issues.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 12:46:26 AM EDT
[#32]
Mine has no issue whatsoever with Pmag 20 round mags, or even the 30 and new 60 round drum.

Loosen the magazine button, folks.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 6:44:28 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Mine has no issue whatsoever with Pmag 20 round mags, or even the 30 and new 60 round drum.

View Quote
The mag button has nothing at all to do with the mag well being -27thousands out of spec.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The mag button has nothing at all to do with the mag well being -27thousands out of spec.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, mine is in spec. Did it miss the memo that it wasn't supposed to be in spec maybe?

A lot of members here love buying cheap LPK's, and I was once one of those types and found the hard way that cheap sucks as the parts were not in spec. I only do Stag LPK's for now on.
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

...Did it miss the memo that it wasn't supposed to be in spec maybe?..

View Quote
It's the reason the whole thread was started.

Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:23:52 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought 3 from Primary Arms ,the ones with the integral trigger guards-last fall.  Two of the three had tight bolt catch slots.....I took the bolt catches out to the belt grinder and gave them a couple of touches, Alumablack and all good to go. All three have shitty safety engagement, loose and spongy. But, they work and at $45 shipped who can bitch all that much?
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 8:54:02 PM EDT
[#37]
Sounds like the parts had issues and not the receivers???
Link Posted: 2/16/2016 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Sounds like the parts had issues and not the receivers???
View Quote

I know I tried several different bolt catches and magazines (spring strength/follower design) before I came to the conclusion the slot was too tight.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 3:41:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
. All three have shitty safety engagement, loose and spongy. ?
View Quote

I found the same with ONE of mine (out of 6). For some reason, no matter which detent/spring/safety combo I use... I just can NOT get that crisp safety snap with that one lower. I honestly think the detent hole is SLIGHTLY off center, thus causing it. But it does work. All the others are flawless (no install issues, beautiful finish, crisp safety engagement, etc). They do, however, all fit differently (some loose, some tight) with uppers (using a single upper as a comparison gauge). That said, I love 'em. They're all I use.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#40]
http://www.andersonrifles.com/anderson-tops-shotgun-news-ar-15-lower-shootout/

Look at the article (download the pdf) - its interesting
Link Posted: 2/29/2016 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

http://www.andersonrifles.com/anderson-tops-shotgun-news-ar-15-lower-shootout/

Look at the article (download the pdf) - its interesting
View Quote
The link is misleading. Anderson did not top the list.

It ranked equal to Doublestar and O.I. Inc.(?) It was beat by CMMG.

Not a bad article though.

Link Posted: 3/1/2016 10:22:02 AM EDT
[#42]
I provided the article for info only as I found it interesting. It was not a promotion of Anderson though I thought they did surprisingly better than some. Before the article I would not have considered them as I perceived them as "low end".
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 1:30:42 AM EDT
[#43]
I put my first Anderson lower together today.  Everything went together without any issues using a PSA LPK and magpul 20 & 30 round mags as well as USGI both drop free easily.  Will definitely be using an Anderson receiver again if they stay priced like they are.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#44]
I bought 4x of the Anderson lowers a couple weeks back for $38 each, about to go back Monday and buy a few more..best thing about them, they are local and require no shipping or transfer costs (just sales tax).  Finally assembled my first one of the bunch the other day, went together without a hitch and mags drop free.  Haven't really checked the other 3x lowers, but they are all consecutive serial numbers, so I guess they will be the same.  

Only lower I have had issues with is a Skyjacker billet lower with the trigger guard.  I picked up one of these for $65, and have been less than impressed.  This was before I had discovered the cheap Anderson lowers, and thought $65 was a steal.  I remember looking through 4 or 5 stripped lowers, and noticing not a single one had the same style internal machining....each one had areas machined just a little different than the other.  I figured for $65 I couldn't go wrong, and bought the one that looked "normal".  I had a chance to buy 4x for $240, glad I passed on that deal.  I ended up using it on a 10.5" pistol build, and mags do not drop free.  Also, the finish has been less than durable.  Still, I am happy with the build, and I am sure the mag well will loosen up some eventually.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 11:08:54 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I bought 4x of the Anderson lowers a couple weeks back for $38 each, about to go back Monday and buy a few more..best thing about them, they are local and require no shipping or transfer costs (just sales tax).  Finally assembled my first one of the bunch the other day, went together without a hitch and mags drop free.  Haven't really checked the other 3x lowers, but they are all consecutive serial numbers, so I guess they will be the same.  

Only lower I have had issues with is a Skyjacker billet lower with the trigger guard.  I picked up one of these for $65, and have been less than impressed.  This was before I had discovered the cheap Anderson lowers, and thought $65 was a steal.  I remember looking through 4 or 5 stripped lowers, and noticing not a single one had the same style internal machining....each one had areas machined just a little different than the other.  I figured for $65 I couldn't go wrong, and bought the one that looked "normal".  I had a chance to buy 4x for $240, glad I passed on that deal.  I ended up using it on a 10.5" pistol build, and mags do not drop free.  Also, the finish has been less than durable.  Still, I am happy with the build, and I am sure the mag well will loosen up some eventually.
View Quote

I saw some of those $65 Skyjacker lowers at a gun show and thought about picking one up. I'm fairly new to the AR platform, so I wouldn't have been able to spot the inconsistencies.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#46]
have multiples...no issues
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I saw some of those $65 Skyjacker lowers at a gun show and thought about picking one up. I'm fairly new to the AR platform, so I wouldn't have been able to spot the inconsistencies.
View Quote

The main differences I noticed were around rear take down pin "shelf" and outer hole for the safety.  I looked at four or five different lowers, and every one of them had different degrees of machining in these areas.  I have no idea how it would have affected a build, but I didn't want to take too much of a chance.  I will say that the one I built on the Skyjacker lower has worked fine, went together easily, and has worked 100%...with the exception of a tight mag well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 1:38:26 AM EDT
[#48]
Mine have the same problem of excessive tightness. Glad to know it isn't just me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 10:35:08 AM EDT
[#49]
Picked one up last Friday, because of this thread I test fit a mag before I left the store. I'm almost finished with the build, only have the buffer tube and surrounding parts left to install, so far so good...
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#50]
I like Aero Precision for cheap owers.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top