Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/6/2014 5:36:47 AM EDT
My first.  Started back in September.  I originally had a Mako GLR16 stock on a Vltor buffer tube with a Troy OEM endplate and a Diamondhead VRS-T 10.25 handguard.  I shot it a couple times and decided to switch to the Magpul UBR and Centurion CMR 14.  I switched the stock because I like the constant cheek weld of the UBR and switched the rail to get a bit more length and to lighten up the front.  The UBR is quite a bit heavier than the stock/tube setup, almost a pound.  Over all I added 10 oz with the switch, but it is very balanced and weighs 8.2 pounds loaded with the red dot and LT-FUG on.  Originally, I was searching for cover-all optic solution.  I decided go with two QD setups instead.  Red dot for close stuff, scope for longer.  If I every get a 7mm, 308, or whatever, the scope will move to that.  Very happy with the over all product.  I have handguard covers to add on, but I'm waiting to work out the mounting hole offset issue with Centurion.  

First couple pix are the original setup from the phone, the rest my brother took with some better equipment with the rifle in its different configurations.

Build list:

Lower
Lower Parts Kit: CMMG
Lower Receiver: MEGA
BCG Trigger & Hammer: TR Enabling
Safety: BAD-ASS w/ Crank and Short-Thin
Pivot/Takedown Pins: Battle Arms Development Enhanced
Grip: Command Arms 6 piece
Stock: Magpul UBR
Buffer Spring: David Tubbs Flat-wire
Buffer: Spikes Tactical ST-T2
Trigger Guard: Magpul enhanced
Mag Release:  Troy Ambidextrous release

Upper
Upper Receiver: MEGA
Rail: Centurion CMR 14”
Rail Accessory Pack
Barrel: Wilson Combat 16" SS fluted
Gas Block: Troy Low Profile (shaved to fit rail)
Charging Handle: Rainier Arms Raptor
Back-up Sights: Magpul MBUS
Muzzle Break: Rainier XTC

Optics
Scope: SWFA SS 12X42
Scope Mount:  Larue LT104
Red dot: Vortex Sparc
Red dot mount: Larue LT751

Accessories
Bipod:  Harris LM
Bipod Mount:  Larue LT130
Light: Streamlight TLR-1 HL
QD rings: Damage Industries D ring
Sling: Magpul MS3
Foregrip: Larue LT-FUG

Link Posted: 1/6/2014 6:30:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Woot!

The silver compensator definitely looks better than the black on there!

Gun shoots smooth too!
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:52:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:04:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Gorgeous.  Looks like you had a few bucks to burn.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I should mention, big shout out to Nate (NSZ85).  Got a lot of inperation from his build and his instructional videos were very helpful for putting this together.

NSZ85 YouTube Channel
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:22:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Great looking rifle... How well does it group at 100 yards, 200 yards?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great looking rifle... How well does it group at 100 yards, 200 yards?
View Quote

Not sure yet.  I've only shot the optics at short range so far.  Once we thaw out I'll get to a longer range.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 2:05:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Awesome looking rifle. Very nice work.
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#8]
How loud is that Brake?
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 2:18:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Damn DT
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:09:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
How loud is that Brake?
View Quote

Again, not much to compare it too. I was fine with some -29 dB ear protection, but regular ear plugs didn't cut it after 30 minutes
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Another dt
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:42:28 PM EDT
[#12]
very nice
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 7:45:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Awesome build.
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 3:52:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Thanks everyone.  Really happy with how it turned out.  I'm an engineer and have always enjoyed learning how to work on my vehicles.  This learning process was a lot of fun too.  This past weekend I got to build my brother's first AR.  He's also my photographer.

clbd39's AR build thread

Time lapse of the build
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 3:57:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I should mention, big shout out to Nate (NSZ85).  Got a lot of inperation from his build and his instructional videos were very helpful for putting this together.

NSZ85 YouTube Channel
View Quote

+1. He is a Forum member - NSZ i think
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 11:43:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Centurion makes a bipod stud that will screw into the handguard. So you could get rid of that rail and bipod mount there, save a little weight, and make some money back by selling the mount.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 3:16:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Centurion makes a bipod stud that will screw into the handguard. So you could get rid of that rail and bipod mount there, save a little weight, and make some money back by selling the mount.
View Quote

It is set up for quick change between the bipod and the VFG.
Link Posted: 1/10/2014 4:59:03 PM EDT
[#18]
how are you liking the wilson combat barrel? Im trying to decide between that and and rainier arms select barrel here: https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=4190

Also how do you like that grip. looking at a few different ones and that is one of them. how does it feel?
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 4:55:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Shot it again this weekend.  This is my first AR, first build, so take all my opinions with that in mind.  Apparently the XTC break is a bit loud.  I was at an indoor range and several people asked what the hell I was shooting.  I was using compensated targets to zero my red dot at 50 yards and my scope at 100 yards on the 25 yard range.  Accuracy of the barrel seemed great, but it was only 25 yards.  I still really like the rail.  The looks, the lightness, all great, just need to get the covers worked out.  I really like the front grip too.  I use it like Costa does in the Magpul videos, 4 fingers are on the VFG, thumb is along the rail, parallel to the barrel.  I find this very comfortable and with the QD mounts, it's very easy to switch from bipod to VFG.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 5:16:52 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
... Apparently the XTC break is a bit loud.  I was at an indoor range and several people asked what the hell I was shooting. ...
View Quote

That'll happen when you use a brake, especially indoors. But hey, guns are loud.

Mine normally wears a Vortex flash hider, but I'll swap it out with a Surefire brake real quick when I feel like being obnoxious
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 6:22:47 AM EDT
[#21]
how did you end up liking the command 6 piece grip. thats one of the ones i was looking at. comfy? grips well?
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
how did you end up liking the command 6 piece grip. thats one of the ones i was looking at. comfy? grips well?
View Quote

Yes.  I'm a fan of hogue grips.  I was going to go that route til I saw the command grip.  I tried all 3 grips and liked the medium that came on it.  I think it looks good with the pmags too.  Function was always the primary deciding factor for this build, (okay, sometimes $$ too), but I think I got a lot of form too.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#23]
Did that rainier break come with the stainless crush washer?

Are there places that sell stainless crush washers?
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 11:45:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

No, wish it did.  I just polished the one that came with it.  If it starts to tarnish, I've got another that I'll just paint and swap or look for one that color.
Link Posted: 1/13/2014 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, wish it did.  I just polished the one that came with it.  If it starts to tarnish, I've got another that I'll just paint and swap or look for one that color.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thats a quality idea. I pay a lot of attention to detail. Nice work, awesome build.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top