User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 9
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:07:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
i don't think the op is even in copyright infringement even if he were to manufacture and sell these they are clearly an improvement over the slide fire as they are far less ugly

As the admin moderator said "let's leave arguments regarding patents to e mails".

I'm not arguing patent law. I simply posted the law for those to read who think making one for their own use is legal.
As to whether or not the op's device is an "improvement" over a patented stock, that is up to attorneys to decide if a case were to be filed. Being "far less ugly"
has nothing to do with whether or not a device infringes on someone else's patent.

Regarding your above post Obo2 on "copyright" infringement. Copyright infringement is a completely different thing from Patent infringement.

The government itself will prosecute for copyright infringement. It is up to the patentee to sue on their own for patent infringement.
The two are completely different things.

I post these things here not to argue, but to try and inform. Arguing with someone on the internet is fruitless and is best left to the courtroom
where attorneys, a judge and or jury would decide what "infringement" is or isn't in any specific case. But I saw many people saying...."I can legally make one for my use"
and I posted the law showing them that according to the law that isn't correct. I'm not arguing the law, just posting it so everyone can read it.

As I said previously, I don't have a dog in this race of who infringes or not anymore since I sold my patent.
But I do hope people will appreciate my posts of what the law says so they can be properly informed and not laboring under
a misconception.

If some people want to labor under a misconception and ignorance and do things that COULD get their tail in a wringer
patent issue/litigation wise that is up to them. Since I sold my patent this specific bumpfiring issue patent wise is no longer my PERSONAL concern.
If or when someone at this thread finally winds up getting sued by whoever owns a bumpfiring patent, they can refer the court back to these threads and all the "experts" who told
them they could legally make one for their own use. Let me know how that defense works out .
In the meantime, I'm on to other designs like a belt fed magazine and certain thumb crank designs that enable both hands on spade grips.

And when those designs of mine are ready, one thing I have learned from finally selling my patent and having the burden of seeing and worrying about infringers finally lifted from my shoulders, and from seeing through the years all the disreputable people who ignore what someone else has invented, is that if I patent those other designs I am working on, I may not even bother to try to manufacture my designs myself. But will sell out my patent on them from the very beginning so that disreputable infringers become someone else's problem. Or else those designs may not even ever reach the public Which of course the finding a buyer and selling of those patented designs will likely make those designs to take much longer to get to the public if they ever reach them at all. It's too bad the good people have to suffer because of the disreputable people. But if the good ones don't like that, then blame the disreputable ones who blantantly flaunt their infringements all over the internet and who flame me because although they know I invented and patented it but they won't even give me credit for doing that and generally says they came up with the idea theirselves. That's the kind of people they are. I don't care if those kinds of people dislike me. They dislike me because they know they are wrong but they don't care and they don't like it when I post the law showing they are wrong. Again, that's just the kind of people they are.

At any rate it is very nice for me to not have to worry about infringers anymore since I sold my patent. It has taught me that is the way to do things. And if no one wants to buy future patents of designs of mine and they never reach the public? Well then we can all thank the infringement minded people on the internet who created that problem. If I never sell another patent, it's okay, I'm financially set. One thing is for sure, I will never on my own manufacture and sell a patented design of mine directly to the public again just so infringers can copy it and disreputably post about it and encourage others to do the same. Those days are over and I have learned better and that my fellow man is not to be trusted because a huge percentage of them are disreputable thieves. It's too bad the good people have to suffer because of the bad. But isn't that always the way?  

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:45:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
disreputably post about it and encourage others to do the same

I think everyone should drop the personal attacks. You do not personally know the OP's here do you? Then how can you attack their character.
Everyone should take their sour opinions and personal attacks elsewhere as we are discussing home-made bump-fire stock in this thread.

I for one would like to make one because the only commercially available option will not work on my gun. I have a magpul ASAP installed. Therefore the patent owner has no legal recourse because they do not make one that will work for me and there is no provable financial loss. Additionally, the commercial version requires that I remove my installed grip. Again, not an option for me.

Again, the remedy for the patent holder would be that I pay them the cost of one of their devices or reasonable license fee for the manufacture of one device should they prove a loss. I think my ass would be far from the wringer in that situation. They would look like greedy ass holes and I would have a device that works for me.. I could live with that.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:49:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 11:06:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Great job OP!  Your second gen looks waaaay better than any of the other bump stocks out there.   Good for you.

Bill,
NM....not worth it.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:06:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks.  I am still working on getting the lower modified for the safety detent as I haven't had much time lately.
Once that is done, everything will be 100%.  I've had my fun with "bump firing" and quite honestly it is a huge
waste of money.  As I have said before it is fun for special occasions, and times of showing off.  As it sits now,
it is attached to an extra lower tucked away in my safe.

This thread is full of knowledgeable people, and I have taken into consideration what each and every single
one of you has said.

Bill, thanks for stating the facts.  I hope nothing ever comes of what I have made for myself, whether it be from
your design or from the next.

If it wasn't for what you designed, people nowadays would have more money in their pockets!  At least your
original design was based off the Ruger 10/22 platform, and because of that it allowed the operator to save money on ammo.

Bump firing for the AR and AK platform while fun, is a HUGE WASTE OF MONEY.  The least people can do is branch
out and design another .22 platform bump stock based off of Bills original idea.  Instead, now people are forced to have
to buy a .22 conversion for their ARs on top of a 3-400 dollar bump stock.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:20:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I think Bill Akins sold his patent.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I think Bill Akins sold his patent.

I am not clear on that from what he has posted. You may be correct though.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:33:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes he did, I was just crediting him for his idea that led to all the other manufacturers that have created
and sold a bump fire stock.  I just wish more would make some for the .22 platform.  If I'm not mistaken,
someone has come out with the Akins Accelerator 2 or something of that sort that is spring less?

While cheaper than Bills, it is still $600 dollars.

I'm not kissing ass here, but I honestly feel Bill was an absolute freaking genius.  I'm the tinkering type, and
can have a lot of respect for someone who can get his mind going in such a way that he can design something
with limited available parts, and make money off of it.  These are the people that have the mental capacity
to design something that others couldn't even dream of, let alone get it functional.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 12:45:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Also, I don't get what the tension between you all and Bill is.  I've never honestly even talked to the guy.
Maybe some of you had some bad personal experiences with him?  

All I know is that he designed and patented the Akins Accelerator.  He then got it approved by the ATF,
who eventually withdrew their decision calling the spring he used on the stock a MG which caused him
to cease selling and production of his stock design.  While this may be missing some bits and pieces, I
believe it to be a quick break down.  Bill, If you feel the need to correct me, please chime in.

I'm sure tens of hundreds of thousands of dollars were lost, and I'm sure it wasn't fun for him.

He came into this thread providing factual information that he learned and knew FIRST HAND in hopes of
someone else not making the same mistake.  He should be thanked instead of shot down.

That is MY OPINION.

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]
This is just me, but it seems he thinks he invented "Bump Firing as a whole".........I give him complete credit for his stock as well.

Sorry...I am now moving on.

I had my Slidefire out last week on my AR22 and it runs like a top!
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:16:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes he did, I was just crediting him for his idea that led to all the other manufacturers that have created
and sold a bump fire stock.

I was just being a sarcastic prick, because he mentioned the fact that he sold his patent, about eleventy-eight times.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:29:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
and sold a bump fire stock.

I was just being a sarcastic prick, because he mentioned the fact that he sold his patent, about eleventy-eight times.

Wait, he sold his patent?  
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#13]
I finally finished what I started.  I was able to enclose the safety with a set screw.

I cut the safety detent down about 1/4 the length it was originally.  I then cut the safety spring,
tapped the lower with an 8/32 tap, and put an 8/32-3/16 set screw in place.

It works flawlessly.  I had my friend who came in town try this stock on my gun with a CMAG.

All 100 rounds bump fired on his first try.  Also, I would like to let you know that he had never
shot any other gun with any sort of bump fire stock.

Pics to come.
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 10:55:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 7/8/2012 11:39:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 4:00:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Patents are a funny thing, so are judges.  He is probably fine, like you said, but even if he went to court it's still a crap shoot for the other guy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
i don't think the op is even in copyright infringement even if he were to manufacture and sell these they are clearly an improvement over the slide fire as they are far less ugly

As the admin moderator said "let's leave arguments regarding patents to e mails".

I'm not arguing patent law. I simply posted the law for those to read who think making one for their own use is legal.
As to whether or not the op's device is an "improvement" over a patented stock, that is up to attorneys to decide if a case were to be filed. Being "far less ugly"
has nothing to do with whether or not a device infringes on someone else's patent.

Regarding your above post Obo2 on "copyright" infringement. Copyright infringement is a completely different thing from Patent infringement.

The government itself will prosecute for copyright infringement. It is up to the patentee to sue on their own for patent infringement.

I post these things here not to argue, but to try and inform. Arguing with someone on the internet is fruitless and is best left to the courtroom
where attorneys, a judge and or jury would decide what "infringement" is or isn't in any specific case. But I saw many people saying...."I can legally make one for my use"
and I posted the law showing them that according to the law that isn't correct. I'm not arguing the law, just posting it so everyone can read it.

As I said previously, I don't have a dog in this race of who infringes or not anymore since I sold my patent.
But I do hope people will appreciate my posts of what the law says so they can be properly informed and not laboring under
a misconception.

If some people want to labor under a misconception and ignorance and do things that COULD get their tail in a wringer
patent issue/litigation wise that is up to them. Since I sold my patent this specific bumpfiring issue patent wise is no longer my PERSONAL concern.
If or when someone at this thread finally winds up getting sued by whoever owns a bumpfiring patent, they can refer the court back to these threads and all the "experts" who told
them they could legally make one for their own use. Let me know how that defense works out .
In the meantime, I'm on to other designs like a belt fed magazine and certain thumb crank designs that enable both hands on spade grips.

And when those designs of mine are ready, one thing I have learned from finally selling my patent and having the burden of seeing and worrying about infringers finally lifted from my shoulders, and from seeing through the years all the disreputable people who ignore what someone else has invented, is that if I patent those other designs I am working on, I may not even bother to try to manufacture my designs myself. But will sell out my patent on them from the very beginning so that disreputable infringers become someone else's problem. Or else those designs may not even ever reach the public Which of course the finding a buyer and selling of those patented designs will likely make those designs to take much longer to get to the public if they ever reach them at all. It's too bad the good people have to suffer because of the disreputable people. But if the good ones don't like that, then blame the disreputable ones who blantantly flaunt their infringements all over the internet and who flame me because although they know I invented and patented it but they won't even give me credit for doing that and generally says they came up with the idea theirselves. That's the kind of people they are. I don't care if those kinds of people dislike me. They dislike me because they know they are wrong but they don't care and they don't like it when I post the law showing they are wrong. Again, that's just the kind of people they are.

At any rate it is very nice for me to not have to worry about infringers anymore since I sold my patent. It has taught me that is the way to do things. And if no one wants to buy future patents of designs of mine and they never reach the public? Well then we can all thank the infringement minded people on the internet who created that problem. If I never sell another patent, it's okay, I'm financially set. One thing is for sure, I will never on my own manufacture and sell a patented design of mine directly to the public again just so infringers can copy it and disreputably post about it and encourage others to do the same. Those days are over and I have learned better and that my fellow man is not to be trusted because a huge percentage of them are disreputable thieves. It's too bad the good people have to suffer because of the bad. But isn't that always the way?  

You don't sound bitter at all!  lol

People should be paid for their ideas.  However, If I copy something for personal use and never sell it or make money off of it then I should be fine.  I shouldn't be forced to buy something for myself that I can make.   Just like the law says I can't legally copy my cd's and dvd's as backup.  It's total BS.  But the American court system is no longer about fair or laws, just who has the most money and clout.
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 9:47:24 AM EDT
[#18]
DAMN thats awesome make a vid of you shooting it i would like to see this in action
Link Posted: 7/9/2012 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

a misconception.

First of all it's metal and plastic sliding on each other. There is little to no intellectual property there to be "stolen".
While I respect the fact that the first bump fire stock was of your design, it's not like you came up with Alternating Current when everyone was screaming Direct Current.
I see no similarity between your design and the OP's other then the fact that they are used on the same model weapon, it slides, and that the grip and stock are connected (which could be said about many stocks)
Link Posted: 7/11/2012 7:16:39 AM EDT
[#20]
This was actually invented by Kyle F. Bump in 1984.
Put his thumb in the belt loop of his pants, finger on trigger and pulled forward. This process was patented, but only after he got good at it.
Kyle's been suing digit toting bastards ever since.
Link Posted: 7/16/2012 4:04:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Not a tag.
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 6:51:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Now make one for a AK! So I can steal, (I mean borrow the design) from you................Sully
Link Posted: 7/17/2012 10:49:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Actually, the night we made the first gen one, we also made one for my buddies AK.

I'll get some videos of it also.

I didn't think to post it here, because this is the AR side of the forums.
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 12:59:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Need a video of this new one in action!
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 4:08:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Now make one for a AK! So I can steal, (I mean borrow the design) from you................Sully

Git r Done.

Link Posted: 7/18/2012 5:42:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Git r Done.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y249/Cpt_Kirks/IMAG0002.jpg

You're gonna make Bill Akins head asplode!
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Git r Done.

You're gonna make Bill Akins head asplode!

Now that's a video I'd like to see! Ha!.....................Sully
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Git r Done.

Any links with more on this setup?
Link Posted: 7/18/2012 11:37:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, It's a process....................Sully

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Git r Done.

Any links with more on this setup?

Link Posted: 7/24/2012 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey man that thing is awesome! I just built an AR my self, with an ACOG, sure fire light etc...and we just moved from FortPol to Fort Worth So I'm kinda broke and the wife won't let me spend anymore. Anyway is there any way you can email me or contact me with the specs on how to build one? If not it's still really cool man.
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 8:59:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Those "finger rests" are just an extra MIAD grip that I had cut down and sanded to fit flush against the side of the pistol grip, and then screwed into place.  Its very, very sturdy, not going anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/4/2012 9:09:33 PM EDT
[#32]
any vids yet of the new set - up  shooting?
Link Posted: 8/14/2012 7:52:43 PM EDT
[#33]
good job...thats what Americal is all about!

keep up the good work and thanks for showing us!

Link Posted: 8/17/2012 2:48:53 PM EDT
[#34]
I posted a thread about this in GD, but this looks to be where the real discourse is!
Anyway, this is a SSAR-15 OGR stock instead of a DIY, but the bipods are semi-DIY. Any of you out there with the skill and the means should make a better set and sell them!

And in case any of you were thinking the bipods were assisting the bump––that is incorrect. They are moving without any tension.

Link Posted: 8/19/2012 5:43:39 PM EDT
[#35]
Again, a video showing the gen 2 in action "I tell ya what" Hank Hill style.  This was made a few hours ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoR8uYVojko&feature=plcp
Link Posted: 8/19/2012 9:32:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Once again great work OP. Your latest version looks really slick.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Again, a video showing the gen 2 in action "I tell ya what" Hank Hill style.  This was made a few hours ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DoR8uYVojko&feature=plcp

Looks great! If you hit the steel part with some Alumahyde II coyote, it will match the FDE perfectly, and look PRO.

Link Posted: 8/20/2012 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#38]
I might consider painting the bar a different color.  I painted it black so it wouldn't stick out like a sore thumb and scream "I'm a link between the pistol grip and the buttstock!"
I've pretty much mastered this thing.  Only took like 1 magazine to get used to it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2012 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#39]
I should probably upload a video of it operating while suppressed.  Only issue with that is the fact that I ain't touching that suppressor for at least an hour afterwards!
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 1:15:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Thanks for the info. Ill be making one for my suppressed sbr 15-22. Will give me something to do while I wait on the stamps.
Link Posted: 8/22/2012 9:29:30 PM EDT
[#41]
You all should subscribe to my Youtube channel, the more views I get, I'll probably be able to put more videos up.

http://www.youtube.com/br0dband
Link Posted: 8/23/2012 10:32:52 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You all should subscribe to my Youtube channel, the more views I get, I'll probably be able to put more videos up.

http://www.youtube.com/br0dband

Done. Subscribe to mine, too! It's the same as my arf screen name.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 10:37:13 AM EDT
[#43]
Sweet!
I do have a question and maybe it was asked but I didn't see it in the last 10 pages.
What purpose does the piece of metal on the left side of the trigger have? Is it for your finger to rest on?
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 1:00:47 PM EDT
[#44]
That is not a piece of metal, it is a piece of plastic I cut from the side of a MIAD grip.

But yes, it is so that you can rest your finger.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 4:08:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Sorry if it has been mentioned in this thread earlier, but what size set-screw and tap did you use for the safety? I think that is a good mod––even if you aren't doing the bumpstock!
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 5:29:19 PM EDT
[#46]
8-32x3/16
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 5:34:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#48]
You do that Boomhauer impression as a joke, right?

Link Posted: 8/25/2012 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I's Hank Hill and yes it's a joke, I've been doing it for years.  Watch the video of my Elcan Specter DR and you can hear my real voice.
Link Posted: 8/25/2012 9:17:48 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

I's Hank Hill and yes it's a joke, I've been doing it for years.  Watch the video of my Elcan Specter DR and you can hear my real voice.

Ah, that's a relief

Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top