Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 9:04:18 AM EDT
I am just getting into building my first AR and would like to put together as accurate a piece as possible.  Is there any need for a "match grade" BCG or is a quality MP inspected unit all one really needs?   I understand the coatings making the unit easier to keep clean, but the weight/ tolerance issue with the "match" unit sound interesting.  Opinions
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:23:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Sales gimmick..military doesn't use match grade carriers and their weapons shoot fine. If you think having 'NM' laser engraved on the carrier will somehow make it more inherently accurate, I've got some parts to sell you myself.

As long as you are using a quality barrel and bolt (best purchased as a combo so headspace is verified) and your receiver isn't cut funny (some go through the extra trouble to lap the face of the receiver to ensure it is trued) you should have a straight shooting upper.

To get it shooting real consistant I would recommend you invest in a quality trigger––the ones that say 'match' on em ARE worth the money..see AR Gold, Giessele, etc.

With quality ammo, a good barrel, a good trigger, and solid shooting fundamentals, you will have an accurate system. Its not 1 thing that makes a rifle accurate, but all aspects working perfectly together to make it a precise and consistant shooting system.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 9:44:50 AM EDT
[#2]
So far, I have the match quality barrel, trigger group, matched upper/ lower and was going to just get a quality (LMT, BCM, etc) bcg until I came across the "Match" carriers by Young.  Seems no one is making much of that being important for overall accuracy, that is why I question.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:18:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I have two Young carriers with Super-Duty bolts from Dennys/GTS.   One is a National Match and the other is the regular M16.   There is no difference in accuracy.

That being said, I do like the chromed carriers because they are easy to clean.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 4:48:25 PM EDT
[#4]
With what you have, I would get the Young.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:31:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Save the money and put it into a better optic or more bullets. can always use more bullets...
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top