Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2006 4:59:28 PM EDT
Am working on my first build and want to make an informed decision as to whether or not  to incorporate these into the build.

Thank you,
guerilla
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 5:09:13 PM EDT
[#1]
They are supposed to feed a little better with soft/hollow tips but anybody running regular ramps has no problems. Some companies have true M4 ramps which are dont before anodizing and others cut them in afterwards. I have the dremeled in ones and cant tell a difference from any other AR.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:21:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I find that the max length heavy bullet ammo (75 & 77 grain bullets) feeds SMOOTHER with M4 ramps... It is just enough margin in the M4 to alleviate any possible FTF (failure to feeed)...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:30:36 PM EDT
[#3]
They work better with blanks, that's about it.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#4]
The M4 cut is a snazy new hair style all the youngsters are wearing these days.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:50:33 PM EDT
[#5]
how does one make sure the m4 cut barrel will align flush with the m4 feedramp upper?  it seems with differing standards, the chance at aligning perfect is little to none.  if this is the case, does a gunsmith finish it off by dremeling when putting the upper together with the barrel?
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 3:27:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
how does one make sure the m4 cut barrel will align flush with the m4 feedramp upper?  it seems with differing standards, the chance at aligning perfect is little to none.  if this is the case, does a gunsmith finish it off by dremeling when putting the upper together with the barrel?

i personally dremel the feed ramps on the barrel extension bit by bit until it matches perfectly with the upper. i then use a metal polishing compound on the ramps with the soft dremel wheel until it's practically a mirror. obviously, i do this before i assemble them. i do this to all my rifles with matching M4 barrel extensions and uppers. they all feed smoothly and run like raped apes on meth.

some may say to never take a dremel near an AR, but to me a rifle is a tool, nothing more. if you decide to do this, only dremel the barrel extension, not the upper. YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 6:08:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I thought M4 cuts were the notch cut into the barrel for attaching the M203 granade launcher.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I never honestly had a need for them.. never had a failure with my regular feedramps. My new build does have them however since they werent anymore expensive than a regular upper receiver.
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 9:47:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I've fired over 2k rnds of FMJ out of two 20" rifles with out a single failure with out M-4 ramps. Firing soft points and OTM rnds I've had several fairure to feed in less than 200 rnds. M-4 ramps would have fed these rnds with no problems. Any thing I build from now on will have the IMPROVED ramps.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:06:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I thought M4 cuts were the notch cut into the barrel for attaching the M203 granade launcher.
www.bushmaster.com/shopping/barrel-assemblies/Images/abbl16m4a.jpg

no, the step-down in the barrel is for mounting the M203 grenade launcher. it has nothing to do with the barrel extension or upper feed ramps.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 5:10:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The M4 cut is a snazy new hair style all the youngsters are wearing these days.

i don't care who you are...  that's funny...

i have no true M4 cuts.  all mine i have had done or done myself.  i would recommend them simply because i've had no trouble with them.  i would say that most feeding problems the average guy manages to come across are more likely a result of the magazine's feed lips/ramps.  i know that every time i have an issue its the mag.  

i'm an advocate of good mags.  many great weapons are labeled as problematic as a result of crappy magazine use or design as well as cheap quality mags.

hth.

-septic tank
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 9:36:36 AM EDT
[#12]
M-4 cuts become more beneficial when used in a full-auto gun.  Although they may help feeding in AR-15's, they are more usefull in M-16's where the high rate of cycling make them more prone to feed improperly.

M.L.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top