Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2006 10:51:05 PM EDT
newbie here looking at first build and lots of decisions to make.

was thinking of getting the m4 feedramp mega upper, but is it considered mil-spec? if not, what mil-spec upper would match the dark mega finish?

what shops would take your upper and build it up to a complete upper? thinking of going with a 16" recon stainless barrel,midlength free float handguards, front and rear flip up sights. undecided on the a2, vortex, or phantom flash hider.

any recommendation on the bolt carrier? i really like the chrome look and it's supposed to be easier to clean, but are there any drawbacks?

how about the lpk's. i keep reading cmt/stag or rra are good, but are there any out there considered great?

any brand recommendations for the above? this will be my first semi build and i'm looking for accuracy, quality, reliability.

feel free to make any recommendations since i'm not fixated on particular brand as of now!
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 1:52:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/6/2006 1:55:46 AM EDT by faethor]
it's hard to go wrong with CMT products, including their uppers and LPK's. i like to order them here

i personally would stay away from chrome carriers as they can be hit and miss as far as finish and quality. just buy a quality M16 carrier and a good bolt. again, CMT will work just fine. you can buy Colt, but expect to pay more.

for the price of going to a gunsmith, you could buy an action block and armorer's wrench and do the assembly work yourself. find a good quality barrel. many here, including me, like CMMG

i would also seriously consider whether or not you really want a flip up front sight. many use set screws which can be problematic. taper pins would require a trip to the gunsmith and a potentially long turn around time. if you plan on using an optic, i promise you won't really notice it and, should your optic go down, you can use the optic shroud and the standard FSB as an impromptu ghost ring sight.

as far as FH's, i'd recommend a YHM Phantom.

Hope this helps, good luck.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:54:28 AM EDT
Mega uppers are awesome...

Sold mine because I had too many uppers with M4 ramps laying around.

Iblis is the guy to get it from. www.carricozarmory.com/
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 9:54:37 AM EDT

I couldn't help but notice this part of your post:

arwant
Post Number :: 1

CA, USA

You may want to double check that what you're intending to do does not violate any state laws.

With regard to this question: "i really like the chrome look and it's supposed to be easier to clean, but are there any drawbacks?" There is a drawback to some chrome bolts - hydrogen embrittlement if they're not made correctly.
Bushmaster's website says the following:

Q. Does Bushmaster sell chrome bolts or bolt carriers? Is there any performance difference between chrome and regular bolts and bolt carriers?

A. There are several technical reasons not to use chrome bolts and carriers. Mil. spec. in the Viet Nam era required chroming the bolts and carriers to guard against rust and corrosion, but it was found that chroming caused problems. The hydrogen present in the chroming process was sufficient to create a condition called hydrogen embrittlement wherein the hydrogen would react with the highly hardened steel of the bolt and/or carrier - and make it susceptible to catastrophic breakage if a final stress relieving process was not correctly followed. Additionally, if the chroming process was not done correctly, the chrome could “flake” up from bolt or carrier surfaces and effectively gouge or scrape off the receiver's baked lubricant coating and subsequently gall on the aluminum surfaces inside the receiver. This condition could very quickly stop the rifle's firing cycle - all good reasons why the Mil. Spec. does not now call for chromed carriers or bolts
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:24:44 AM EDT
I noticed in your post you wanted a shop to build a SS 16" recon with dark mil spec upper receiver. Noveske offers the complete upper you describe built on a CMT upper receiver shipped to your door. Probably no wait, compared to the 10 week wait for just the barrel. www.noveskerifleworks.com
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:36:13 PM EDT
thanks for all the advice. i'll check out carrico, cmmg, and noveske.

as for ca compliance, it will be legal with a 10rd mag that's locked although it sems the doj hasn't settled on an approved mag lock device yet.

i still have lots of investigation for the parts i want to use and i'm in no hurry.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:13:23 PM EDT
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 9:35:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 4/7/2006 9:40:23 AM EDT by JackalAR]
I had a CMT upper on my Mega lower and did not like the fit at all. I went with an "MMS" marked Mega upper since I didn't like the "MEGA" logo on the upper, and the fit is PERFECT. (Non-M4 ramps) I stuffed it with CMT parts and everything fits exact. I went with a 1:9 Sabre middy and had to knock down the leading edge off the upper where the barrel extension meets so I could use WWB 45 gr. hollowpoints.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:37:49 PM EDT
stick,

i'm leaning toward getting the mega upper so can you advise if the m4 feedramp upper has the option of having the mega logo and t marks? time is no issue for me and i'm willing to wait.

also, is the m4 cut from the upper always going to match an m4 cut barrel? from the few pics that i have seen from assembled uppers, the feedramps look like they match perfectly flush. i would like a perfectly flush feedramp from the upper and barrel, but i wonder if this requires a gunsmith to dremel or if it can be matched up from stock parts.

hope my question makes sense.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:59:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Stickman:
If you have a Mega lower, go with the Mega upper, they are equal to anything else out there. Don't get hung up on "milspec", its a term which has been blown out of proportion and means next to nothing anymore.

+1
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:39:27 PM EDT
also keep in mind that with the m4 feedramped upper is going to work with the bbl. you plan on using.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:51:15 PM EDT
what's an m4 feed ramp?
Top Top