Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2006 11:12:01 AM EDT
Just wondered if anyone here has a good method of aligning the gas hole in the rail type front gas block with the gas port on the barrel during installation / assembly ?

Also, does tightening the allen bolts shft the location (any technique to ensure this does not happen, or is it a non issue)

thanks
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 11:45:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Using the gas port in the barrel as a guide, mark top dead center on the barrel's shoulder. Mark the center of the gas block at its rear, slide it onto the barrel back to the shoulder, and align your two marks. If you are not re-using the handguard cap, at least allow for its thickness and space the gas block that much forward of the barrel's shoulder. Use red Loc-Tite on the gas block's screws and tighten them down.

Have you ever checked out the Indiana Forum?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, that sounds real logical. I have an Armalite and want to fit a floating tube. Not decided on a tube yet, but seen this as a potential problem - pleased I don't have a model with pins; I hear they are a real ordeal to get out :-)

Can you get the screws out again after yo use red loctite ?

I don't get on here very often, and never even noticed the IN Forum. Could be useful in finding decent ranges - I usually use IWLA range N or Ft Wayne, or a DNR range. IWLA is a little basic, and the DNR ranges are real regimented (that keeps most people away)
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:35:52 PM EDT
[#3]
to back the screws out after the red loctite sets, use heat from a torch, or a lighter to melt the loctite.  don't get it too hot.   don't forget to put the freefloat tube on first!
Danomite
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:44:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks

Anyone got any ideas on good tubes ?

I was thinking of using the RRA round tube. It is quite cheap, and I don't need rails on this varmint rifle.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top