Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2006 9:30:48 AM EDT
I cant find anything on the equipment exchange. and I am almost ready to plunk down some $ for a AR15 membership so I can search efectively.

I found some on CDNN for 370.00 but they dont have a charging handle or bolt / carrier

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You can add the bolt carrier assy from someone else. I haven't seen anyone advertising A-1 uppers. CDNN is selling SP-1's which, of course is the original configuration Colt. Someone here told me these they are selling are indeed brand new. They found a warehouse full of 'em somewhere.

You could build one from parts. You didn't say, but I am assuming you want the look of the original Vietnam-era A-1 with triangle handguards? If you just want an A-1 upper receiver, several folks sell them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:49:40 PM EDT
[#2]
CDNN sells them. also check Fulton Armory.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:03:33 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
You can add the bolt carrier assy from someone else. I haven't seen anyone advertising A-1 uppers. CDNN is selling SP-1's which, of course is the original configuration Colt. Someone here told me these they are selling are indeed brand new. They found a warehouse full of 'em somewhere.

You could build one from parts. You didn't say, but I am assuming you want the look of the original Vietnam-era A-1 with triangle handguards? If you just want an A-1 upper receiver, several folks sell them.

Well actually, they are NOT SP1 uppers.  They are M16A1 uppers---and that's a good thing.  If they were SP1s, you would have to use an adapter on the front lug to fit them to a current lower. As milsurp M16A1 pieces, they'll drop right on any current lower.

Why CDNN keeps calling them SP1s is beyond me, but they're not.  

Condition?  These top parts were pulled off of unissued M16A1s that were being upgraded with M16A2 uppers. They were never issued for service use, but might show a scrtach or two here or there. While I hven't bought one of these uppers, I did buy some of the bolt/carrier assys and cocking pieces that were on them originally, and a couple of the buttstock assys that also were part of CDNNs deal.  They werer exactly as described. That is you could tell they'd been assemblrd on a rifle, but you could also tell the rifle hadn't been fired since it left the factory.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:30:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Just what shamayim said.

I bought one of the CDNN kits during the winter. At the time it included a buttstock and buffer/spring/tube assembly. Every single piece of it is absolutely brand new. I don't think the current kits include the buttstock assembly though. But the upper you order will be brand new, you won't be disappointed in it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:20:54 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Well actually, they are NOT SP1 uppers.  They are M16A1 uppers---and that's a good thing.  If they were SP1s, you would have to use an adapter on the front lug to fit them to a current lower. As milsurp M16A1 pieces, they'll drop right on any current lower.

Why CDNN keeps calling them SP1s is beyond me, but they're not.  

are they Colt uppers as the ad says?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#6]
The one I got was 100% Colt. Can't say about what they have now. Best just to ask them, I guess.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Not knowing alot about head spacing I am reluctant in buying an upper without a bolt.

I could do a search, but is "headspace" adjustable

Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:11:07 AM EDT
[#8]
+1 CDNN was great.  I knew they were pull-offs from unissued weapons, but the first upper I got was too banged up to be advertised and sold as "new".  CDNN exchanged it for a better one no problem.  I got another one for my brother in law.  Both are all Colt and in great shape.  I took mine to the range for the first time last sunday
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Not knowing alot about head spacing I am reluctant in buying an upper without a bolt.

I wouldn't worry about it..

These uppers are basically new... which means not much wear, so they are all still in spec.

Add any new bolt, and it will work fine. If you are really worried, use a field head space gauge. It will pass if the bolt is new or lightly used.

Headspace is set when the manufacturer of the barrel installs the extension, and it can't be changed on an AR barrel very easily..
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 1:35:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't worry about it..

These uppers are basically new... which means not much wear, so they are all still in spec.

Add any new bolt, and it will work fine. If you are really worried, use a field head space gauge. It will pass if the bolt is new or lightly used.

Headspace is set when the manufacturer of the barrel installs the extension, and it can't be changed on an AR barrel very easily..

Thanks, I think I will see if any else comes up and place my order on Monday.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:37:36 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought one last week and am happy with it. I already had a complete lower and bolt ready and waiting. The upper condition was super and it was indeed unfired. It was a CDNN one I got from a gundealer  friend of mine.I think it's worth the money. I guess that's up to you but I wanted to put together a retro. I think it turned out sweet.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:03:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Ordered today, so I dont want to see any joe shmo has them for less, posts.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top