Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2006 3:57:35 PM EDT
When you builders build an AR and you install a collapsible stock on it do you A) Back it off a thread so the Upper receiver will close and the buffer detente pin is barely held down? or B) Put the buffer tuber cut out right on top of the spring loaded buffer pin, knowing that some fitting will be needed to get the upper to close?

I ask this because my castle nut came loose and the stock indexed an 1/8 of an inch. This caused the charging handle to hit the top of the stock when I charged it.  I know I could of just held it and tighten the castle nut but that seemed like a short cut and not a good fit and finish.  I ended up putting all the way on so there would be no movement because the buffer detente held the tube in place. I assume it was meant this way? The first pic shows where it was before I fitted it. The second pic shows after.

Your feed back is welcome.

Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:36:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I have never seen a buffer tube with a cut out to accept the buffer retainer pin. All mine are cut flat. Pretty simple procedure, screw in the tube till it holds the retainer in place but not so far as to impede closing of the receivers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:38:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I went with the bottom picture - works fine. So long as the buffer retainer doesn't fall out and retains the buffer when you remove the upper, its all good.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:43:06 PM EDT
[#3]
IBTREN (In Before The "Receiver Extension" Nazis)
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:05:30 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
IBTREN (In Before The "Receiver Extension" Nazis)

Damn..  

I mean, no one calls it the "action spring tube" or the "bolt carrier buffer container"
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have never seen a buffer tube with a cut out to accept the buffer retainer pin. All mine are cut flat. Pretty simple procedure, screw in the tube till it holds the retainer in place but not so far as to impede closing of the receivers.

+1.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 3:04:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I have two buffer tubes with the cut out. Both came with a Cavalry set. They index perfectly for me. I put them all the way on.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top