Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 10:01:49 AM EDT
Another post raised a question in my mind.

I have never put together a complete AR, the lowers are sold and registered as rifles and the .gov considers them so at least on paper.  I read that the law states that you are allowed to build on firearm a year for personal use.  Does putting together a complete stripped lower into a rifle constitute home manufacture.  And to the point, is it illegal to build more than one complete rifle out of a complete stripped reciever a year.

Sounds like a dumb question as I read it, but I want clarification...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:08:55 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know about the one rifle a year thing, but a stripped lower IS the rifle. It's the serial numbered part, and you are not building it. All you are doing is assembling additional parts. You can "build" as many as you want.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Another post raised a question in my mind.

I have never put together a complete AR, the lowers are sold and registered as rifles and the .gov considers them so at least on paper.  I read that the law states that you are allowed to build on firearm a year for personal use.  Does putting together a complete stripped lower into a rifle constitute home manufacture.  And to the point, is it illegal to build more than one complete rifle out of a complete stripped reciever a year.

Sounds like a dumb question as I read it, but I want clarification...

The lower receiver on the AR 15 is a rifle. So you are not building a rifle. To build a rifle you build a lower receiver, like drilling out a blank. It has no serial number, unless you put one on it. Since they are not tracked you can build as many you want. But you can’t sale them. If you are building from a kit you can build one from kits, but they are tracked so at some point or number they will accuse you of manufacturing with out a license. That number or point would very by State and local laws.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top