Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 10:44:49 AM EDT
I'm looking at building an AR, so here's a barrage of questions. Please don't get too angry if these are common questions...

I've heard that the M4 length gas systems can cause problems from excessive pressure --is this true? Also, how would a bayonet fit on an M4 style barrel w/ the lug so far from the muzzle? Would a bayo fit as designed on a midlength system? Is RRA the only peeps that make the midlength?

Also...I've heard that the home-build AR's aren't holding up like factory guns are -- just more unreliable, more problems, less accurate. I don't remember the source -- that's just what I heard. Is this true?

Thanks a lot guys,

mr0w1
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:57:10 AM EDT
[#1]
The M4 gas system is inferior to the mid length, especially when using a 16 inch barrel.  This is due to the amount of gas and pressure beld off, and violent cycling.

Most parts guns that fail are problematic because of the parts they used.  Quality parts from reputable manufacturers (and I don't mean brand name) can usually solve any problems.  It only takes one cheap part to choke the gun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the comments.

So where are good places to get quality parts? The only place I know of off hand is Model 1.

Thanks again,

mr0w1
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:28:34 AM EDT
[#3]
I like Rock River Arms, Colt, Bushmaster, Stag, CMT, and have a BCM on the way to see if all the good things I hear are true.

eaglefirearms.net is a good place for cheap Stag and RRA guns.

An LMT is also a pretty good deal.

Get the best gun you can afford and don't add anything until you have the money to do it right.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Well, I've actually got a 20" A2 Bushy already, but I wanted a 16" gun with a T6 stock on it -- a carbine, if you will, to go along with it. I figured, hey, why not build it?

I've also learned the lesson about doing things right the first time, and buying what you wanted in the first place -- it gets expensive rebuying things because you were a tightwad the first time around.

Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 12:28:36 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Thanks for the comments.

So where are good places to get quality parts? The only place I know of off hand is Model 1.

Thanks again,

mr0w1

ADCO
GTS
to name a few
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm looking at building an AR, so here's a barrage of questions. Please don't get too angry if these are common questions...

I've heard that the M4 length gas systems can cause problems from excessive pressure --is this true? Also, how would a bayonet fit on an M4 style barrel w/ the lug so far from the muzzle? Would a bayo fit as designed on a midlength system? Is RRA the only peeps that make the midlength?

Also...I've heard that the home-build AR's aren't holding up like factory guns are -- just more unreliable, more problems, less accurate. I don't remember the source -- that's just what I heard. Is this true?

Thanks a lot guys,

mr0w1

I have a Rock River midlength.  It won me over to the midlength gas system.  It's really the best option for 16" barrels.  Bayonet will work on midlength just fine.  

Current midlength offerings that I know of:

-Complete uppers
Rock River
Bravo Company
Sabre Defence
Cavalry Arms
CMMG

-Barrels
Noveske
PacNor
Wilson/WOA
(I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting)

The reliability of a home build will directly relate to the quality of components used.  AR's are fairly simple devices and there is no special voodoo needed to build one that is reliable.  Just remember: quality in = quality out.  There are enough reliable home builds out there to debunk the myths of the naysayers.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top