Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/28/2006 12:02:09 AM EDT
how much cheaper is it to build an ar than to buy one for the same rifle. I want to spend around 600 and havent seen any complete guns around that price, so i think ill have to build it.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:21:50 AM EDT
[#1]
You are correct, Sir what are you looking for maybe i can help...........
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 12:47:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Find a complete upper kit you like, pick a lower. Push pins in...stock and grip. Put upper on lower, push pins, function check and clean. Load mags (lots), safety glasses, ear plugs....Have fun. A new build can be had just under $500. Used parts off EE can make the rifle cheap.
Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:43:04 AM EDT
[#3]
awesome, an AR for the price of a commie gun, gotta love america.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 2:50:27 AM EDT
[#4]
oh yea im looking for a good beginner set up. Im not expecting a 300 yard tack driver, but it would be nice. Prolly a 16 inch barrel, or maybe a 14.5 incher. I dont want a varminter either. What are some good websites to see my options. I really dont know shit about these guns but im looking to step up from an ak to a better gun, so im all ears, and balls.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Just did a cheap new build. (flame suite on) I used a Model 1 16" lightweight car kit and a $75. blem finish Superior Arms Lower. Lower came from Robert at www.rbprecision.com Total price with shipping...$520. Now Model1 has a bad rap about out of spec parts, I didn't have any issues. But the mag release button was plastichadIf you hit the shows you can find stock plinkers for under $600. Then you have a base to change uppers........
Good luckhe
Happy spending
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 5:13:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#7]
ok, whats the best place to buy cheap uppers. All ive seen so far is like 500 dollar uppers.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#8]
BUMP, LOL
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 3:39:31 PM EDT
[#9]
What type ? Try the forum sponsores, EE, Industry forum...for cheap I did Model1, its a truck gun for the farm. The issue I had with the kit was a plastic mag release. Open sights at 200m takes care of pest. Keep checking EE.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:26:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Built this with a kit from model 1, cost was $485.- for kit with stainless barrel and 1/8 twist, $99 for lower receiver, about $30.- freight and $25.- transfer fee and NICS check. You can get the chrome moly barrel and save $50.-

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:33:02 PM EDT
[#11]
The upper is your important part, I wouldnt skimp there if you can avoid it.   Cry once.

I did a midlength build for a buddy at work and he's in about 800 total but it's top tier rifle and 100% new.   Quality isnt cheap and you'll never regret having a good rifle.  

I have about $350 total in my lowest cost build, all used parts from the EE and the upper is all Colt.   It took several months to get together and alot of EE watching.  ( it's an early slickside M16 clone)
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 6:08:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I've built several from kits and lowers from OlyArms.  Latest was a 16" free float tube, flat top with carry handle, 6 position stock A2 flash sup.  Total just over $600.00 including lower I've had for several years and shipping.  I've always bought the kits directly from Oly Arms, stripped lower through local gun dealer.   I have never had a problem with their products and the rifles have been of very good quality.   If you are LE let them know.  I have 21 years active duty experience with M16 and Oly Arms weapons have been as good if not better than what i carried.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 11:23:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:08:14 AM EDT
[#14]
exact copy of factory rifle= maybe $100
using cheap parts= as cheap as you want to get.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 4:17:38 AM EDT
[#15]
what kind of configuration are you looking for?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 8:54:57 PM EDT
[#16]
a 16 inch gun for hunting and plinking is what im lookin for. I want the best accuracy possible while at the same time keeping the feed issues to a minimum.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#17]
The $800 build I just did gave a chrome lined 16" midlength with ARMS40 BUIS.   I'm confident it will have zero reliability issues and will be an accurate gun.   ( I have the same setup myself)  Find someone with a configuration you like and dont skimp.   If it's your first build it's not the time to play around with unknown variables.   Build a top quality rig and you'll learn what works and have confidence in your rifle.    From the components used I would have no reservations about grabbing this rifle I built and defending myself with it.   I wouldnt say that with an Oly plinker or M1S rifle without having ALOT of trigger time with it first.   I feel the rfile built for $800 was a bargain for what it delivers.  

The bottom line is feeling like you did well for the $.    If you want a dirt cheap plinker and dont care about how reliable it is you can probably build one for under $500ish without too much trouble.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top