Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 12:47:32 AM EDT
Hello all. I was bitten by the AR-15 bug since firing one 13 years ago and really had the urge to get one lately. Money and marriage have a way of making you put things off. I've been lurking and learning here a lot over the past few weeks and decided that I want to build my first AR.  The amount of info/help here is staggering but I'm absorbing it well. The rifle would be used for range shooting mostly ( we all know the other reason for having a firearm). Hunting is a no-no to the girlfriend anyway.

I've compiled a list of parts that I'm interested in making my AR out of. Please let me know if I missed anything. Suggestions for tools needed to install/build these parts into an AR would be appriciated.  

Stag 3HL lefty carbine upper (assembled) w/ ARMS 40 iron sight and Yankee Hill gas block mounted sight
Being a lefty, I've been looking into stripped Stag lefty uppers but haven't found one.

Global Tactical lower w/ Stag parts kit.
I like the idea of having a Stag lower w/o the deer head.

Magpul PRS stock

TAG ASP Single point sling.

Stock handguard w/ rail on the bottom.

Magpul ladder rail covers

MGI rrb recoil buffer.

Vortex flash hider.

Magpul MIAD basic Grip kit in black.

20  AR15 30rd Black Teflon MAGs w/  Magpul followers

EOTech 511

Streamlight TLR-1 light

This list is subject to change as my reasons for picking these parts are based only on features, customer reviews/comments and my recently aquired knowledge.

Thanks for your input!
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:05:09 AM EDT
[#1]
yes you can have a std fsb with a freefloat tube of correct length.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
All the brand listed are high quality and I would use them.  As far as the front sight goes, sounds like your putting some $$ into this one.  Why not use a three rail gas block and then get a gg&g front flip.  This would stream line the whole thing and tie into the rear arms signt nice.  As far as tools dont goe nuts, just an armorers tool and some puches is all you need.  A gas tube tool does make life a little easier.  Have fun and post some pics when it complete.

Tiggy
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 2:30:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replys and tips.

I like the railed gas block/BUIS idea. I'll check it out.

As far as tools, I just wanted enough to build what I had in mind and for cleaning. I'll look around for an armorer's tool .

It does look like quite a bit of $ but it's just a rough draft list. I may trim some $ off but with certain things, I like to drop what I consider decent $ being in the lower-middle class imcome bracket. Cutting the cost of the FF rail and stock would save a decent chunk. I'll look into more non-collapsable stocks of similar design.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 8:56:50 PM EDT
[#4]
My AR so far. The waiting is a killer.

(Photo removed and updated below)

Shown:
Stag 3HL upper
Smith Vortex
TAG sling
TLR-1 light
ACE vert grip
ARMS #40
30rd mag w/ Magpul

Not shown:
19- more 30 rd mags
5 20 rd mags
1k rounds Fed M193 5.56
2k rounds Wolf 55g .223
2- Blackhawk 2 30rd mag pouches
Lula

On their way/ ordered:
Denny's GT lower w/ Stag lpk
Magpul PRS stock
Ambi-mag release
EOTech 511
YHM front gas block sight
Magpul ladder rail covers
Handguard mounted pic rail for carbine
Ambi-selector

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:46:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the Magpul PRS on a varmint gun, But I think you would be better served with a more conventional stock, The PRS adds alot of wieght , a bit excessive on a carbine, and the adjustability is uneccessary unless your mounting an optic.  Go with Magpuls M93, for the same money.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info. The PRS is on it's way though. I already know it's considered heavy. I haven't handled one yet but if it's too heavy, I could always build another rifle, A 20" with a scope, When the Magpul UBR comes out.

The adjustments may come in handy, I'll see I guess.

I've read about/seen the M93 but wasn't crazy about it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2006 11:31:29 AM EDT
[#7]
More goodies arrived today!

EOTech 511, Magpul PRS, handguard rail, YHM front sight. The PRS doesn't seem as heavy as I thought it would be with all the talk. I'll know better when it's all assembled and I start carrying the rifle around.

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top