Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/15/2006 12:39:44 PM EDT
Howdy,

I've been lurking for some time and am about ready to start a BIY gun.

My first question is FH or No FH when it comes to accuracy? I'm planning on getting a mid-length kit from M-A and I can either go with the SS bull barrel w/o FH or the standard barrel w/ FH. I'm a little more interested in accuracy than in nighttime stealth, but I must admit, I've always liked the looks of the Phantom FH.

Second question is about mounting a front sight on a FF forearm. I really like the way a 12" FF looks on a 16" middy barrel with a Troy folding front sight. However, I'm concerned that by disconnecting the sight from the barrel, it's just asking for reduced accuracy.

I plan on shooting the gun with iron sights for some time as I save my pennies to put together a good bolt gun too.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

- Mike
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:46:05 PM EDT
Unless you have some overriding reason to go heavy, I'd avoid the bull barrel.
I asked a similar question on flash suppressors a long time ago and I never got a solid answer.
Regarding putting a front sight on a FF, scopes aren't mounted on the barrel either and they do just fine. I doubt you'll ever see an accuracy issue with a front sight mounted on a quality, properly installed FF tube.

In short, build what you have in mind but with an HBAR or A2 barrel and put a flash suppressor on it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:04:46 PM EDT
Jim,

Thanks for the info! I'll plan on the HBAR and Phantom. - Mike
Top Top