Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/14/2006 4:56:49 AM EDT
I decided I want to buid an ar and since ive never even shot with one not sure on what barrel to choose.

Till now im thinking of getting a RRA lower and parts kit but not sure whats the difference between the two triggers they offer.

For upper and barrel the only thing I know that i want is a 16", like the way stainless looks but not sure about how parctical is it and it will be a flattop.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:53:24 AM EDT
if you go 16" go with a mid length gas system, RRA, Dennys GTS, WOA, CMMG depending on what you are looking for for twist/material etc.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 7:57:24 AM EDT
try a wilson air guaged unit.

i also hear a lot of good things about the white oak armament. (WOA) i've never owned one, but sounds like i'll give one a try.

septic tank

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:12:27 AM EDT
On material I'm thinking on stainless, basicly because i love how they look and for sure i'm getting a midlenth. On twist I'm not sure what is the best for me. I will use it for home defense and on the gun club.

I looked into the WOA and they looked nice.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:29:50 AM EDT
Unless you are doing match shooting where you need to squeeze every drop of accuracy out of your barrel..

Should consider getting a chrome lined barrel. Much longer service life, and most of us won't even notice the accuracy difference if you get a good one. They are also very easy to clean.

If your are dead set on stainless, check out Oly Arms Ultramatch barrels(1:8 twist). They are pretty decent in the pricing, and are supposed to be of the most accurate barrels out there.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:12:01 AM EDT
RRA makes a nice Stainless Mid-Length 1:8 twist barrel.

Very good quality.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:11:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:26:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 6:27:51 PM EDT by DonD]

Originally Posted By yositoco:
On material I'm thinking on stainless, basicly because i love how they look and for sure i'm getting a midlenth. On twist I'm not sure what is the best for me. I will use it for home defense and on the gun club.

I looked into the WOA and they looked nice.

Its almost a good idea to decide what ammo you are going to shoot and bullet size before a barrel choice is made. If you plan to buy the winchester white box or Wolf you will not need a match
barrel. If the bullet size is 55 grains then a 1-9 may be the right choice. You ask the question on the right board, a lot of great minds here willing to help. Then there`s me also willing to help not such a great mind.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:36:16 PM EDT
Denny's GTS has a 16", midlength, SS, 1 in 7 twist, recon barrel with a matched bolt for $320. Not a bad deal, I'm ordering one as soon as I can find out if they're in stock.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:57:08 PM EDT
If you're looking for SS, I recommend WOA. I love my WOA 16" m/l.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:10:20 PM EDT
16in middy, govt profile

Top Top