Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/11/2006 3:29:56 AM EDT
So what techniques can I use to ensure that my front sight/gas block (PRI flip up front sight/gas block and the YHM flip up front sight/gas block) is sitting TDC? I would think that I would have to be absolutely dead on so that the front sight will line up correctly with the rear and not cause a windage problem (not to mention the gas port alignment). TIA!
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 5:24:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/11/2006 5:44:28 AM EDT by 1911builder]
Using a plastic mag well holder install the entire rifle in a vise. With a small level check that the carry handle or the flat top of the receiver are level. Really does not matter if it is exactly level. You just need to establish the receiver bubble level position. Then using the same level on the top of the PRI check that the level is in the same position as when on the receiver.

If it is in the same position you should be good to go. Charles the Gunsmith.

ETA: Where in AZ are you? I am in Tucson.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:57:35 AM EDT
I used a laser level from Sears. It worked dead on.
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=Yes&vertical=TOOL&pid=00948255000

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 9:05:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:50:46 PM EDT
Install the rear sight and the front sight. Turn the whole rifle upside down and place it on a level surface. See if all four ears, two on the front sight and two on the rear, are all making contact at the same time. If you have four point contact your rile is steady. If you have three point contact is will rock back and forth, the more it rock the further you are off. If your FSB is secured with set screws, loosen them, keeping your rear sight in contact with the surface, gently move your front sight until both ears make contact, then tighten it. This is a quick field expedient method. Of course you have to find a flat surface.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:39:01 AM EDT
Hey guys, thanks for all the tips! I'm going to try all those techniques and see which one works best for my situation. Thanks again!
Top Top