Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/29/2006 8:46:35 AM EDT
Does this make any sense at all?

I have a Colt 11.5" A1 upper I purchased from CMMG some months ago.  I'd like to convert it over to an A3 format.  Here's what I'm thinking of doing:

1.  Purchase the following:
  a. CMT M4 Upper Receiver
  b. Larue 9.0 freefloat handguard
  c. Larue low profile gas block
  d. Troy front and rear folding sights

2.  Remove the barrel from the A1 upper.  Knock out the pins on the FSB and remove it.  Mount the Larue gas block.  Mount barrel on M4 upper.  Install Larue handguard.

3.  Put on optic, either Eotech or Compact ACOG.

4.  Enjoy.

Or do I just wait for BCM's 11.5" uppers and keep my Colt upper "as-is?" :D
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:21:04 AM EDT
[#1]
sounds good, if its cheaper and thats what you want go for it.

sell the upper to recoupe some cost, does it have a forward assist? shell deflector? might be intrested
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:51:05 AM EDT
[#2]
It'll save me the cost of a barrel, but add the cost of a gas block.

Yeah, this A1 upper has the deflector and forward assist.  I will keep your name in mind. :D

The problem is, every time I think of changing it and then hold it, well, it feels good as is!
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Using an M4 upper (with M4 feedramps) in conjunction with a non-M4 barrel may result in feeding problems. Make sure the flat top upper you go with does not have the M4 feedramps.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top