Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/18/2006 2:38:49 PM EDT
well got my new sportsmansguide catalog in that mail to found this in it "http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=240013" anyway , figured you guys might wan get you gruby hands on a Vietnam kit.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 2:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Imagine that. Not available until Feb., but it is in the catalog now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#2]
For $450?  And from the description, no chrome lined chamber or bore?

I'll pass.

Why God, why, didnt I buy all those Colt M16 kits that Tapco was selling for $269?
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:34:31 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Imagine that. Not available until Feb., but it is in the catalog now.

Not to mention that when you do go to order it they probably won't have it anyways. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:41:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
For $450?  And from the description, no chrome lined chamber or bore?

I'll pass.

Why God, why, didnt I buy all those Colt M16 kits that Tapco was selling for $269?

You still can, you will just have to order it from SG now.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 9:56:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never had a problem with Sportsmansguide. Even the stuff they didnt have at the time I ordered I got when they did. Occasionally when they have a really hot number it is out but that is the nature of the business.

I have been a member of the "Club" for YEARS. I love SG
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 10:57:06 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I've never had a problem with Sportsmansguide. Even the stuff they didnt have at the time I ordered I got when they did. Occasionally when they have a really hot number it is out but that is the nature of the business.

+1

Link Posted: 1/19/2006 11:15:41 AM EDT
[#7]
goddam i remember about 5 years ago those TAPCO Colt A2 kits for $269 WHY WHY WHY did i not buy one, why did i not buy 10  
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

+10
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Neat. So, that must include all the M-16 fire control parts, and the M-16 bolt carrier. I wonder if there would be any 1:14 barrels, or if they'd all be 1:12.

I wish I had the cash to reserve one myself.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Now if those rifles were once full auto what are the legalities of marrying them to new lowers.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:28:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Now if those rifles were once full auto what are the legalities of marrying them to new lowers.

Don't use the trigger/hammer/saftey/disconnector (am I missing anything) that comes with the kit. Get rid of them ASAP when you get the kit.  Those are the only "bad" parts.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:51:38 PM EDT
[#12]
THeir catelog states taht some parts are substituted. Id bet the fire control parts are swapped out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 8:51:45 AM EDT
[#13]
The picture on the web page looks like it has the AR15 semi auto fire control group.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I bought one from TAPCO. It was really worn out. Needed a total refinish. I parted out the upper and fire control, and the guy i sold the upper to was really disappointed in the upper. It looked like it had been carried in the jungle for 20 years, and shot maybe 100 times. SO be careful if these are the same quality.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I bought one from TAPCO. It was really worn out. Needed a total refinish. I parted out the upper and fire control, and the guy i sold the upper to was really disappointed in the upper. It looked like it had been carried in the jungle for 20 years, and shot maybe 100 times. SO be careful if these are the same quality.

But for $269.... I expect to have to refinish.  A sandblast and duracoat would have it looking nice....   I know a lot of people who got those and were thrilled with the results, after refinishing.  Just having a nice beater AR for $370 is really cool.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 1:50:53 PM EDT
[#16]
We were talking about these the other day:

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=265037

Quoted:
I figure the kits were purchased from SARCO, and you can get them cheaper there (cut out the middle man).  Last I knew you could buy the surplus parts from SARCO less all the aftermarket stuff for a much better deal.

These are US Air Force M16 (Colt's Model 604) barreled uppers with handguards, buttstock and screw, grip, and fire control groups removed from old rifles updated with an M16A2 conversion kit.  You are looking at about $250 in parts, along with a bunch of junk stuff, like the cheapest bolt group, charging handle, receiver extension, etc parts that they could find to round it out, or as they say "a few smaller ones are careful reproductions".  Not sure that fire control group is original in the kit pictured, could be junk, or could be real parts that are neutered.

The barreled upper in the sample picture dates from 1964-67.  Barrels from this time frame do not have a chrome chamber, all my non chrome barrels from 64-67 work fine, but others have had real bad experiances such as this:

www.jouster.com/articles30m1/index.html

If not a former rebuild the upper would be gray, and current production lowers are black.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:27:34 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Don't use the trigger/hammer/saftey/disconnector (am I missing anything) that comes with the kit. Get rid of them ASAP when you get the kit.  Those are the only "bad" parts.

The hammer, trigger, & disconnecter can all be modified to be legally used in a semi-auto.The projection on the selector that disables the disconnecter can be filed off also, this will give you two semi auto firing positions similar to the original Bushmaster rifle.

The used GI parts are probably better than out of spec bargain basement parts.
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 3:39:22 PM EDT
[#18]
The hammer, trigger, and disconnector in the picture are semiautomatic.

Last I knew you could get the SARCO kit with the original unmodified parts.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]
I got one in the EE for $350.

upper, BCG,stock and grip.

It was in excellent almost new condition.

The kits are still out there just gotta keep your eye open.

FREE
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:00:47 PM EDT
[#20]
The Sportsman's Guide kits were sold out by Monday.  I recieved notice in the mail Monday of the backorder, I wonder if I'll get one.  They sure sold out in a hurry...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
The Sportsman's Guide kits were sold out by Monday.  I recieved notice in the mail Monday of the backorder, I wonder if I'll get one.  They sure sold out in a hurry...

Probably because they never had them.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top