Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/14/2006 8:43:53 PM EDT
Hey gang,

I'm really hate the idea of paying $150+ for your standard 20" chrome-lined barrels only to burn up the chamber when I go to the range to blast away. I was thinking about putting together a "fun" upper to blast/practice with that wouldn't necessarily have a great barrel, but a cheap one to put a lot of mileage on.

Has anybody heard of getting "demilled" or used barrels for a decent price? Has anybody heard of such a thing? Do you guys just use good barrels?

Thanks for the input,
Nick
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:07:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/14/2006 10:08:17 PM EDT by eklikwhoa]
why not just get an airsoft rifle?

its a rifle is meant to shoot bullets and after shooting bullets you clean the rifle which is called maintaining it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 10:39:35 PM EDT
In the AR world used military barrels cost as much or more than new barrels, unless they are un-useable. It's not like AKs, where a used kit gos for $100.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 11:38:49 AM EDT
With my competition AR, I don't mind spending $250+ on a new Kreiger barrel because I demand 1/2 MOA across the course, but with my blasting AR, I really don't need that much precision. In fact, I just want to shoot that as cheap as possible. I was just exploring an option at reducing barrel wear cost on my fun gun...
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:31:04 PM EDT
Just watch the Equipment Exchange. You can find an upper-barrel combo with plenty of life in it for $150 or so. Sell the receiver and you got an inexpensive barrel.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:56:40 PM EDT
If all you're doing is blasting away, then just blast away. You can probably shoot 25k rounds or more before you even need to start thinking about headspace issues & by then you will have spent so much on ammo that $150 for a new barrel will seem like chump change. There is nothing wrong with having a "good" upper & a plinking upper, but I don't think you will need to swap barrels on the plinker all that often.
--Snowbound
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 6:45:26 PM EDT
I have some US made 1/9 barrels in 20" HBAR config. I got several of them at a good price. My brother in law built a rifle using one of these barrels and, after some break-in, gets good groups. The barrels are chambered, profiled, gas port hole drilled and the barrel extension is installed. They are unfinished chrome-moly steel. You would need to install the FSB. Front end is threaded for standard FH. Price is $85 shipped. Email for pic.
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 4:54:56 PM EDT
i remeber a few years ago i found someplace selling good used military barrels for like $45 or something... wish i would have picked up a few
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:56:20 PM EDT
I've purchased 2 16" pencil barrels from Sarco for $24.00 plus s/h they were advertised as "ringed, plugged or shot-out. not so both have beautiful when cleaned chamber and rifling and bore errosion was 1.5 to 2.0 which is as good or better than new. they're just depot take-offs one i built is very accurate. all i bought them for was FSB's but hit jackpot. I don't know about all of them but mine was ordered at 2 different times.
Top Top