Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2006 9:41:01 AM EDT
The core of my rifle is going to be a stripped Double Star lower. One question I have, what tools will I need to put my lower together. I've got the basic every day tools around my house, but I was wondering about a buttstock wrench? Punch set? I'm wanting(at the moment) to build the lower with a 6 position stock, Tangodown grip, and a standard lower parts kit. On the parts kit, I wondered what was the best to go with, Bushmaster? Armalite? RRA? Any advice you all have would be great. I want to use a 20" upper to finish it off.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:18:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Congrats on the purchase.

A buttstock wrench is needed but other than that I did mine with just standard tools around the house. I used channel locks with tape around the ends to "squeeze" the pins in and used a small screwdriver (or a small nail) as a punch.

I would recommend going slow and not rushing it. There is nothing hard about piecing together a lower but if you rush you may mess up and scratch something or lose a spring along the way.

As for the LPK I highly recommend RRA!

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:43:01 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 Congrats.

A buttstock wrench is the only special tool you'll need.

I built my first lower last year with just a basic punch set and household tools.

Be careful with the finish, use a clear plastic bag to catch the flying spring/ detent pin of the pivot pin detent and support the receiver when installing your trigger guard.

I lost my detent pin when I did my first lower, lucky I had a spare pin.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 10:59:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys. Hopefully my lower will be in by the end of the week. At this point I'm looking at ordering a RRA LPK and 6 position stock. Time is one thing I DO have when I build it(as long as the cats dont become to interested in all the small parts ). My birthday is coming up, so I'll get someone to get me a grip. I'd like to have the lower put together by the end of Feb., so that way I can look for a good 20" upper at National Gun Day. That way I'll have plenty to do on my birthday.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
My birthday is coming up, so I'll get someone to get me a grip.

Are you referring to an aftermarket grip? Just checking because the LPK will come with an A2 grip.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I think I'll go with a Tango Down grip, but not yet for sure.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Sounds good. I just wanted to make sure you knew a grip came with the LPK.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 1:27:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah I did, thanks though. There is one thing you could help me with, how am I going to tell me wife and get away with this project LOL....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Yeah I did, thanks though. There is one thing you could help me with, how am I going to tell me wife and get away with this project LOL....

Yeah, that's a tricky one. Thank goodness my wife likes the fact that I have a hobby....even if it is guns. For my current project (9mm carbine) I am just piecing it together a little at a time. All I need for it now is a mag block and I'm good to go. But there is an Eotech next on the list. It's kind of lke an endless cycle!! Dang you Black Rifle Disease!!

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 7:47:25 PM EDT
[#9]
dude, somethings you just don't tell the wife...
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 8:12:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
dude, somethings you just don't tell the wife...

Yeah, that's a tough one for me. My wife is an Accountant, so needless to say, she keeps up with the finances.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:58:16 AM EDT
[#11]
I have another question about stocks. If I just wanted to put a 4 position stock on it for now, and than wanted to change to a 6 position later, do the stocks just swap out, or do you need all new internals(buffer tube, buffer, spring just to name a few).
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:18:08 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have another question about stocks. If I just wanted to put a 4 position stock on it for now, and than wanted to change to a 6 position later, do the stocks just swap out, or do you need all new internals(buffer tube, buffer, spring just to name a few).

Now I'm not 100% sure as I've never used a 4 position stock, but I would assume the buffer tube would have to be replaced. The 4 position one would most likely have 4 indentions and the 6 position would have 6. The buffer and spring though can be the same. As long as you aren't switching from a carbine length stock to a rifle length stock (or the other way around) the buffer and spring can stay the same.

In other words, the dimensions of the 4 position and the 6 position tubes will be the same. One will just have more intervals for the stock to stop on.

I hope this makes sense..........also you may want to double check from someone who has dealt with both types.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, the reason I asked is I'm still trying to do this on a budget so the wife stays happy. If they do just swap out(and I understand what your saying and your probably right) I'd go that way to save a few bucks for now, but if not, theres no point on wasting money.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Just get a 6 position first. Otherwise you will have to change the buffer tube, but you can use the same stock body.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Ok, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 12:53:04 PM EDT
[#16]
One special tool I'd get is a Clevis Pin that is the same Dia as the front take down pin. It looks like this and can be found at any hardware store for $1 or less:

What you need this little bugger for is putting in the front take down spring & detent. You put the clevis pin in the receiver's front take down pin hole. Put the spring and the detent thru the hole and compress the spring thru the hole with a allen wrench, finishing nai,l or anyhing that will fit in the hole. Turn the clevis pin 90 degrees and now the detent and spring will be held in the lower under pressure. Use the front take down pin from the kit to slowly push the clevis pin out of the receiver WATCH OUT because you can shoot that detent & spring across the room.

Also I would get a set of Pin punches from Sears for $10 Link  or of you want to get fancy spend $20 for roll pin punches Link.
I've used the $10 set for all my builds + if you break one Sears gives you a replacement for FREE, and it good FOREVER no matter how many you break them!  
Link Posted: 1/16/2006 8:52:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks. I can't believe it, my wife gave me her "ok" to build my AR. She said she didn't want to hear me talk about guns or cars anymore until we got a house
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top