Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/14/2005 3:43:16 PM EDT
Wanting to build my own AR15 for varmint hunting and home defense.  I am thinking RRA or Stag lower and then whatever barel will give me the best accuracy for the dollar.  I'm new to this venture and have some questions.  Can you mix and match uppers and lowers.  Will a Stag lower fit well with a RRA upper?  Can you buy a RRA lower, an upper from another company and a barrel from a third company?   Thanks for the help as I get started.  
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, mil-spec uppers and lowers are able to be swapped. The only time you'll have major problems is if either the upper or lower are large-pivot Colts (Colt made both large and small pivot rifles.) Even then, you can use an adapter pin.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#2]
varmiting and home defence are two very different animals.  If you really want to varmint, it going to be a 24" bull barrel with a 10x scope.  Home defence is going to be a tactical shotty

With that said, I think a good compromise would be a 16" barrel, 1:9 twist.  Whatever you do though, RESEARCH it.  When I was ready to build my first one, a took a week to learn the differences between styles, another week to price it out.  All of that info is readily available here, just gotta look for it.  I would suggest reading up on the differences though.  Also read up on ammo, as it can affect what kind of twist you want.  Reasearch research research.  Also keep in mind that one gun doesnt do it all.  If it did we would only ever buy one gun
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top