Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2003 1:09:29 PM EDT
Im I such a retard that I can't get my peel washers to peel?

What is the trick?, I like the look of the peel washer, but I did also buy a crush washer if it comes down to it.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a utility knife with the washer in the vise.  

Slipping with a razor knife is can do some serious damage to your hands.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#2]
I got mine to peel with a razor blade.  I read somewhere that you put a flame to it, but that didn't work.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup...I just figured out the Razor knife was not such a hot idea, I took a nic. [:D]

But it did work, thanks guys..

I have a Colt Pre-Ban A2 but the FS was at 3:00 and I wanted to get it back down to 6:00 I was guessing that that was just where the washer was going to go, so I picked up a new peel washer...well long story even longer, I now have a spare peel and a crush, I can use one of them on my varmit upper that Im building anyway.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Peel washers are easy.

1.  Get a cup of water.  Room temp will work, but cold is better.  I used a cup of ice-water.
2.  Get yourself a hot flame.  I used my gas cooking stove.  A hand held blow torch should work too (maybe a little too well).
3.  Get a pair of pliers to hold the washer with.

All you do is stick the washer in the flame, it will heat up REAL quick.  Atleast it did on my cooking stove.  Drop it in the cup of water and watch it make a cool noise and split into thinner-than-paper washers.

Repeat with the larger remaining peices as many times as necessary.

Don't try to use an oven, it doesn't work.  You need a good hot flame.  I don't think a lighter will do you much good but you could try.

Oh, and one last note.  I dried off the peel washers after I was done splitting them.  I then let them soak in a lubricant/protectant, pulled them out and wiped off the excess.  I don't want them rusting.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 6:00:57 PM EDT
[#5]
How is that easy?  I had no problem slicing off layers with a razor blade.  No Crack torch or nothin'!
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 8:43:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How is that easy?  I had no problem slicing off layers with a razor blade.  No Crack torch or nothin'!
View Quote

Because they pop apart like popcorn, no f'ing around with razors and slicing your fingers off.  Took me 5 minutes and 1 washer became about 30 fillet-thin washers.  I don't care how good you are with a razor, you are not going to get them into the fillet-thin washers they should be without using the above method.  Even if you could, you'd be dicking around trying to slice them for hours.  Once they get to a certain thinness they aren't rigid and you have no way of holding them straight to slice them with a COKE razor.
Link Posted: 11/25/2003 11:04:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Im going to try the "Crack Ho" way with my spare just to see how many slices there are, I got mine to go with a razor blade and tapped on it with a brass bar, I was guessing that there were maybe 8-12 slices total, I only needed to take off 2 to get a good solid fit.

But thanks to all for the info, I am in the middle of building a varmit upper and will need to do it again shortly.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top