Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2003 9:45:18 AM EDT
RRA Lower, standard safety switch.

Problem - Switch has a good postive engagement in the "safe" postition. When moved to the "Fire" postion it locks into place and will not return to "safe".

I am using the (brass?) detent with a flat base on one end and a coned end at the other. The coned end is what engages the safety selector switch. The spring goes the the flat base. (I assume this is the correct set up)

The hole if you will where the detent sits when it is locked into the "fire" postition seems to be deeper and not as beveled as the "safe" position.

Should I take a cone shaped stone on a dremel and hit the "fire" hole?

Thoughts?

Are there any tricks to installing the safety?

Thanks
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 9:55:00 AM EDT
[#1]
You may want to try and dull the sharp point on the selector detent first.  That's what I usually do when I run into this problem.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:11:40 AM EDT
[#2]
On my AR the selector will only move to the safe position when the hammer is cocked.  When you try to move the selector to safe is the hammer cocked or is the hammer down?

It also helped it quite a bit when I put some lubricating grease in the slot of the selector.

Link Posted: 11/17/2003 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Always remove metal from the cheapest part first.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 2:18:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
On my AR the selector will only move to the safe position when the hammer is cocked.  When you try to move the selector to safe is the hammer cocked or is the hammer down?

It also helped it quite a bit when I put some lubricating grease in the slot of the selector.

View Quote

Congratulations. You now have an AR safety that works just like all the others in the world[:D]

Seriously, that's how you can tell if the piece is in fact cocked or not; in case you forgot. If the safety engages, it's cocked.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 3:59:52 AM EDT
[#5]
If it's getting stuck in safe you could try to clip a little off the detent spring.

I had to do this with my fulton armory predator2 grip, I put the cut end into the pistol grip so the detent still sits on the flat end.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top