Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2003 11:16:02 PM EDT
Saw it in Guns-n-Stuff catalog (http://www.gunsnstuff.net/p/028f.html).  What the advantage/disadvantage to have a SS lower?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 5:38:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I wonder if they have anything of quality in that entire catalogue?
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:45:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought DPMS is not bad.  
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 6:56:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I was just niticing that entire catalogue seems to be all off-branded stuff...
Link Posted: 11/13/2003 8:40:16 PM EDT
[#4]
It just happened to be where I saw that DPMS SS lower.  Please focus on the SS lower.  Is it better than forged aluminum ones?
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 12:33:57 PM EDT
[#5]
ar15seeker
   when DPMS FIRST brought those out, i emailed them, asking them what they thought the advantages were.  they said the stainless lower weighs a pound more than aluminum and this extra weight provided more balance with the heavy bull barreled uppers they produce.
   take that for what it is worth.

Stainless
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Please focus on the SS lower.
View Quote

...You mean this isn't www.gunsnstuff.com???...

...D'Oh!!!...

(ROTL!!!)
Link Posted: 11/14/2003 7:09:10 PM EDT
[#7]
i had one.  the magwell was tight but it was a nice heavy lower.  i was going to make a varmint rifle out of it..but i'm laid off and need other toys more so i sold it.  IIRC dpms has discontinued making these.  all are post ban as well.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:05:49 AM EDT
[#8]
Anyone seen pricing for them better than $169?
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:25:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, I too have an interest in these receivers. Please share with us when/if you get it.

Edit- FWIW, FAC also seems to have some of the best prices on stuff I want.
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 6:28:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/15/2003 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I just built up my .458 SOCOM using the DPMS stainless steel black Teflon lower.  I used a Rock River NM trigger kit and DPMS A2 buttstock kit.  Tony built the upper using a DPMS Lo-Pro upper.  Everything went together perfectly, fit perfectly, and put about an extra pound of weight right where I wanted it, between my hands instead of having to add weight in the butt stock.  While the recoil of the .458 SOCOM is not great, the extra pound of weight in the receiver helped tame it some I'm sure.  The finish between the black Tefloned stainless steel lower and upper matched perfectly.  I would have absolutely no reservations about buying another DPMS product.  By the way, if you get a dealer to order the lower from Brownells, it will only cost you $190 (plus his mark up), not the $360+ of the MSRP listed in the Brownells catalog.  I got mine for $180 as my dealer is one of the largest DPMS distributors and he ordered it direct from DPMS.  Or, if you have a C&R 03 FFL (which qualifies for Brownells dealer discount) and have a dealer you do transfers through, get him to send a FFL copy to Brownells and after Brownells receives the FFL (and letter from your dealer saying it is OK for you to make the purchase and have them send the lower to him), you buy the lower with your dealer's discount and only pay your dealer's transfer fee.
 In fact, my dealer has a black Tefoned DPMS stainless steel lower in stock right now for 199.00.  Contact http://www.kieslersonline.com/index.asp if you are interested.  They do transfers, no problem.
Link Posted: 11/16/2003 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It just happened to be where I saw that DPMS SS lower.  Please focus on the SS lower.  Is it better than forged aluminum ones?
View Quote

It will be much,much stronger, but heavier. it's a trade off, strength vs weight. probably not necessary unless you plan to run over it with your car, but would be nice to have "just because". Now if they would make a stainless upper receiver, you could assemble a complete stainless AR15, now that would be something.
Link Posted: 11/17/2003 10:46:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for all your input.  I'll consider it if I ever build a varmint with a ss barrel.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:14:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Can anyone tell me where and how I can get one of these stainless lower receivers?  I am a legal purchaser so no worries there, i just cannot find one and would like to for a future .458 or .50 Beowulf.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:21:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:30:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Kiesler's Police Supply  ( http://www.kieslersonline.com/index.asp ) has one now, stainless steel with the black Teflon finish for $200.  Also, Brownells list them but may not have them in stock.  However, unless you are a C&R or 01 FFL Brownells price is $360 +-, only $189 if a C&R or 01 FFL.  That is the lower I used for my .458 SOCOM build and am completely happy with it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 8:46:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Aimless,

Thank you for your quick response.  I have not been a member for very long so I am not too familiar with the workings of this site.

We had a local gun show two weekends ago and I talked to a few of the dealers that I have dealt with before.  I have a CCW, so didn't expect to have any problems, but I have always bought outright and don't know what is involved with a "dealer transfer".  That being the case none that I spoke to seemed very anxious to do this nor were they willing to discuss anything but "retail".  That is quite a bit different than the $190 or so that members have discussed here.

Am I doing something wrong?  I am having a heck of a time even finding one of these.

Perhaps, if it is indeed unnecessary as you say, it is a moot point.  But I would like to know that I won't have to worry about the pin holes if I ever get the uppers that I mentioned- or even durability through the years.  My cousin and I both are looking to build up some good, durable rifles for coyote hunting.  I take care of my stuff and want to know it will take care of me.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#18]
One more thing.  The only reason you might want a steel lower vs. an aluminum one is weight.  You add about a pound by using the steel lower, but you do not need the steel for strength.  While the .50 B and .458 SOCOM are not real heavy kickers, if all you are use to is a .223 type rifle you may find the bigger cals a bit much with hot loads especially if you don't add a brake or some kind of recoil pad.  The extra pound of weight in the lower will do a lot for reducing recoil (that extra pound of weight will reduce recoil by about 2.5 ft-lbs or 12%), but you sure don't need it for strength.  
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:05:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Forged aluminum is plenty durable for an AR lower.  Maybe if I was going to put one of those .50BMG uppers on it I'd want the SS one though...
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 11:26:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/9/2003 6:02:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Big-Bore, Mike_L and, Aimless;

Thank you; Thank you and, Thank you.

I appreciate your information and generosity with it.  But I think it might be a moot point anyway.  I can't find one.  The "Guns & Stuff" catalog lists them, but I called and they are out of stock/discontinued.  So I called DPMS and they told me that it is a discontinued item, but they are planning on bringing production back up around the first of the year.  Through my dealings with a local dealer and the discussions of the "dealer transfer" he told me he called and they told him that although they plan on remanufacturing after the start of the year, they weren't sure and didn't have the contract/contractor??  I didn't understand that- but either way, it doesn't look like I am going to get one unless I wait a while.  As coyote season is about to hit full swing for me here I don't think I am willing to do that.  It may be just as well- although I intend to build it up, it would mainly be .223 for coyote.  Coyote is the biggest thing we can hunt with a rifle here and I already have a faithful T/C Encore in .454 Casull that I use for deer.  I would probably be better off without the extra weight for the longer bush drives too.

So, now that my plans have been foiled, I am back at square one.  We have some gun shows coming up in the next few weeks and I hope to make a purchase this month.  I am looking at DPMS, Bushmaster and have seen some Armalites for very good prices (used).  If I can find what I want, (flat-top, 20”, freefloat(?), stainless barrel(?)) I may just grab it up instead of trying to buy it separate and put it together.  I like to customize my firearms to suit me but those features are available from the manufacturers now.  I put a lot of time into researching and deciding what I want before I make a purchase, but there are SO MANY decisions on accessories and aftermarket parts!

THANKS AGAIN!
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 3:34:10 PM EDT
[#22]
I have 3 DPMS Stainless lowers and have problems with all 3. The first one I put together for my 50 Beowolf and it would hang up when trying to close the action. I could interchange several DPMS and Colt uppers and the problem was definetely the lower which I returned and was told it was a butstock thread alignment. When I had the same problem with the other two I returned them and don't remember getting a clear answer as to what the problem was but they worked when I got them back. After further use on a AR15 upper the 3rd stainless lower had the same original problem and it is back at DPMS for the 2nd time. I told them if they can't fix it this time to send me a regular lower. I have a lot of DPMS parts that have worked fine but theses stainless lowers (natural color-not black) are shakey at best.
They do give you the extra weight desired but that advantage is really nullified if you can't get the action closed.  
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top