Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2003 2:50:34 PM EDT

Brownell's sells all three brands. I'm treating myself to new GO and NO-GO guages in 5.56. Which brand would you buy? Price isn't a big concern but I don't want to pay twice as much as it takes to buy a good set either. They will be for general use in standard--not match--chambers.

Also, does anyone know the length of the Forster or Clymer field guage? Is it the same as the Colt guage--1.4736"?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 3:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
There's great info in the FAQ's in the troubleshooting section.  Including length, etc.  Also read the FAQ section's posts on how to check headspace as there is more information contained in there.  The brand doesn't really matter so much as the length of the gauges.  This information is in there.

I got my headspace gauges from Bushmaster, this was the cheapest place I found.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:09:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Thanks. I've used headspace guages quite a bit. Just want to know from those who own some of these brands if there's enough difference between the brands to justify some being twice the price of some others. Also want to know if everyone's field guage is the same dimension.

Link Posted: 10/23/2003 5:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the Forster and they work well for me.

Danny
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I am not sure about those three brands, but I have the Forster and those from Bushmaster, and the Colt copy from Brownells.  They are ALL different lengths.  The three brands you mentioned may not all be of the same dimensions, check and be sure.  Other than that, I never heard of any quality issues from those brands.
Link Posted: 10/24/2003 11:59:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask Tweak over in the troubleshooting section!

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=7&t=142139[/url]

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/announcement.html?b=3&f=66&id=186[/url]
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:35:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I am not sure about those three brands, but I have the Forster and those from Bushmaster, and the Colt copy from Brownells.  They are ALL different lengths.  The three brands you mentioned may not all be of the same dimensions, check and be sure.  Other than that, I never heard of any quality issues from those brands.
View Quote

Exactly, AK Mike--I want to wind up with 5.56 guages, not match guages.

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:47:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Ask Tweak over in the troubleshooting section!

Hey, good thread! Thanks, KA3B!

Anyone's other thoughts would be appreciated too. I have guages now that work--not sure of brand except my field guage is Brownell's. I'm just having the "new tools" fever but don't want waste money buying something I won't be happy with. If I do, I'll just leave them lying in the box while I continue to use my old guages.

Link Posted: 10/25/2003 4:04:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Jgs, Jgs, Jgs!!!!!!!!!

Robert
Link Posted: 10/25/2003 5:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Jgs, Jgs, Jgs!!!!!!!!!

Robert
View Quote

I don't understand.... If that's a guage manufacturer it doesn't ring a bell. Try again? Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/26/2003 6:41:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jgs, Jgs, Jgs!!!!!!!!!

Robert
View Quote

I don't understand.... If that's a guage manufacturer it doesn't ring a bell. Try again? Thanks.

View Quote

Sorry I was vague, JGS is a gage manufacturer they atre the only ones Rock River Uses, I have had inconsistencies with forster. I know the JGS is used in the nato and wylde chamber, When I was Quality Manager at Lewis Machine we used JGS.
Robert
www.rbprecision.com
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:59:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I keep getting the cheapest brand (forester?) and have had no problems.  

Some of the guys over at falfiles.com say that they don't follow the appropriate contour or whatever and gvie you a different reading than the more expensive ones.  Of course many fal builders consider the setting of HS to be some sort of arcane rite involving the phase of the moon, relative humidity, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 4:37:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I want to wind up with 5.56 guages, not match guages.
View Quote

The only diff between the two is the ranges for the GO, NOGO and FIELD. As long as you know how long your gages are and how long you need the chamber to be any gage set will work.

Edited to add, I have no experience with JGS' gages but they do make hella fine reamers.

[url=http://www.jgstools.com/tpl.html]Here's[/url] the page
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top