Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2003 12:07:07 PM EDT
I would like info on Wilson Combat Uppers.
I am building an AR and I have completed the Socom Diamond Lower and I am thinking about installing a Wilson Combat Tactical Precision Upper with an 18 inch medium weight fluted barrel on it. does anybody have an experience or opinion about these uppers.

It might be Precision Tactical - I dont have my wilson combat catalog with me....
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 5:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Mmmmmm.... well, "Wilson" will be expensive.  The "Wilson" name ya know....

Look at their web page, as they list their stuff there.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:38:21 AM EDT
[#2]
Come on guys.....
Its all expensive ... just ask my wife
Some of you 48 that have checked this post out must have an opinion....
I have not seen much mention of Wilson Combat or Les Baer in my limited time perusing this sight...
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#3]
OK, if you want an opinion, tell us why you want that particular upper.

Reliability?

Accuracy?

Specific Features?

Weight/Balance?

Finish?

Coolness?

Myself, I would rather have the local AR smith build one to order with my named components for the kind of money you are talking.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 11:37:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I like the 18" mid weight fluted barrel, forged A4 upper, free floated alum. handguard, milspec bolt & bolt carrier. The msrp is 699.00
and I'm pretty sure I can beat that price by atleast 100 bucks.

If there is a quality smith that can build something similar & save me money please point me in his direction. I'm new to this whole AR15
scene.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Well, I'll have a go at it.  Are you trying to build a long-range, precision gun?  From your mention of the Socom lower, it sounds so.  If you are, a Bushmaster Varminter upper is very good.  Also, Olympic PCR-1 Ultramatch uppers and Rock River Arms Varmint uppers are good too.  Any of these will cost you less than the Wilson and have a free floated handguard, as well as being built ground up as a precision upper, with .223 SAAMI spec chambers, rather than the 5.56 chamber.  ADCO.com sells RRA uppers, TripleBreakProducts sells Oly uppers, can't remember who sells Bushies, but look around, or check EE.  The Wilsons are nice, they are well built of quality parts, their service is excellent but IMO are overpriced for what they give you.  You are paying for the service, really.  Most of the people I've met on this forum have uppers/guns from all manufacturers, and few have problems.

Ghost
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 4:18:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, since you have that kind of lower.... I imagine you want long range?

A match grade 20" barrel (HBAR) w/ a free float tube (flat top) and removable front sight can be assembled quite easily.  Or purchased for a reasonable price.  RRA has them listed 20" HBAR, 1:9, free float flat top w/ removable sights.

It all depends what you want to do.  If you want a "all around rifle", that upper I mentioned would work...

Comments any one?

Edit-
Unless you want to compete, most of the people who get/built AR's are varmint hunters and/or just plinkers.  The die hard comp guys could/would build or spend tons on a "space gun".

Me, I just plink and the quality and accuracy of the "average" upper is probably more then what I can shoot.  As in I can't shoot as well as the rifle can be capable of.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 11:17:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Are wilson barrels off the same quality as Armalite or Bushmaster's?
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top