Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2003 8:35:44 PM EDT
Does anyone know a if there is a company selling an AR15 A1 kit??
I am interested in building a similar AR as the M16A1 used in the 60's & 70's, with an A1 upper, forward assist, triangle handguards, A1 handguard slip ring, and original type barrel (not H-bar).
I am hesitant to buy a piece here and there, because then i will have to worry about headspacing, piviot pin hole size, etc... not to mention it probably would cost alot more if i pieced it togather.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:04:30 AM EDT
[#1]
If you want an A1 clone, piece by piece is the only option you have. There are some assembled barrel/reciever assys out there. CDNN is currently selling some apparent overrun Colt stuff from the A1 series; barrelled uppers, bolt/carrier assemblies, and stock assys, and that is probably the easiest way to go.

If you do go that route, and are using a post ban lower, you'll need to grind off about 1/4 inch of the underside shoulder on the carrier, to make it a semi auto only carrier, and you'll need to replace the flash suppressor with a permanently mounted muzzle brake, but any original type stuff you buy will need the permanent muzzle brake.

[url]www.cdnninvestments.com[/url]

Then click on "Parts", then "Colt"
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 7:49:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
If you want an A1 clone, piece by piece is the only option you have.
View Quote

Not so!
Fulton Armory sells the complete M16A1 forgery, complete with "faux" A1 canopener flashhider and slickside upper as an option. They also sell the complete M16A1 (forgery-clone) barreled upper. As an interesting side note, they use new surplus chrome plated M16A1 USGI barrels on these, with authentic stamped markings, very nice. I have been eyeballing them a lot since my first black rifle ever was the M16A1 I was issued back in BCT at Fort Leonard Wood in 1982, back when Col. Sanders was still a private. Although it was a well worn, rattly relic even at the time, I still think of it with fondness.

I think Fulton does the best job of capturing the spirit of the A1 in a civilian, post-ban rifle. The only thing better would be a pre-ban Hartford Horsie SP1, but they can be very pricey for an NIB example.

they are at [url]www.fultonarmory.com[/url], under legacy AR15s.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:21:37 PM EDT
[#3]
$500 for an upper assy? Not in my house! Not when I was able to buy a brand new M16 barrel for $105 with every part except the gas tube, an original Air Force type upper for $125, and the bolt, carrier and cocking tee for $100; and all parts were original Colt production.

For $170 difference in price, I'll build it myself, thank you, and have 2/3ds of the bucks for the bottom end still in my pocket[:D]

Now if they'd bring out a replica of the original M16 A1 Lower reciever, I'd pay a premium for that; but buy aftermarket replica stuf when you can get genuine Colt for the same or less?? Nah[:D]
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 2:57:13 PM EDT
[#4]

Yeah they are a bit pricey, but for someone that has more money than time, they are a quality product. They make some nice M1s and M1As as well. But yes, too much for my pocketbook. I build from parts as well.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:00:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
$500 for an upper assy? Not in my house!
View Quote

Agreed!

Anyone know of any company that sells the original slab side A1 uppers but with the small forward hole for pushpin?

SoL
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:08:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Never mind...  I found them.

Fulton has both the small hole and large hole slabside A1 uppers for $149.

[img]http://www.fulton-armory.com/M16Upper-350_50.jpg[/img]

SoL
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 6:14:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Son of Liberty:
Never mind...  I found them.

Fulton has both the small hole and large hole slabside A1 uppers for $149.

[url]http://www.fulton-armory.com/M16Upper-350_50.jpg[/url]

SoL
View Quote

You might also want to check w/my favorite parts guy, L.D. Mcpherson at [url]usgunparts.com[/url].  Got a used, but appearing new, original Colt M16 upper from him recently, for $125, and it came w/ sights and dust cover.  Air Force surp I guess[:D]
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 11:33:03 PM EDT
[#8]
thanks for your help!
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top