Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/23/2003 6:08:00 AM EDT
I have a new (for me) A2 that I want to change into an A3/A4.

I've never tried to do this, but was wondering how difficult it is to swap out upper receivers. Not barreled uppers, just the upper receiver. What tools are needed, and how much expertise is required?

If it is a job for an AR smith, anyone know a good one in PA?

Thanks in advnce for the help.

Link Posted: 9/23/2003 12:33:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to remove the barrel from the upper you need an action block and a barrel wrench (get one of the all in one wrenches), a pin punch to remove the gas tube retaining pin and a vise to hold the action block. Dont try to improvise or it could end in tears.Search this site for instructions on how to do it.
When yo refit the barrel to the flat top upper you need to aline the holes for replacement of the gas tube.Dont go crazy over tightening the barrel nut!
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:02:41 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks thebloke. I thought it would be fairly simple. Will do a search and get a good set of detailed directions before attempting this.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 7:47:09 AM EDT
[#3]
The action block (DON'T BUY BARREL VISE JAWS) from Bushmaster, DPMS, and others should have instructions included.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top